HubSpot Ideas

mfoldager

Ability to restrict permission to edit/delete other people's notes

In theory, anyone can make anybody say anything by editing their notes. It should be possible to restrict permissions to only edit own notes - despite the notes being added to a company you own.

I am oftentimes leaving notes for my salespeople, and the fact that they can edit my notes just because they are on a company they own seems worrying.

This also goes towards a more granular permission setup. I would love to be able to create roles with way more specific permissions than currently possible.

25 Replies
nikt
Participant

That's what we're looking for too. Isolating one person's notes and activity from others

crsrds-dave

This is important for our team. Notes can contain personal information that is not always sales related, but is important for relational context and connection (i.e. going through divorce, kids leaving for college, loss in family, etc) 

This information can be personal in nature, and not necessarily information that should be shared across all users in the HubSpot system.

kahorij

Any updates?

DKamilchu

This is definitely an issue we have been noticing as well. Would be a great fix to only have the original poster of the note to have permissions to edit. That's why I thought comments were there for.  Kind of a big issue, to be honest.

ghtogo

Like with email, others should not be able "to put words in my mouth" which when it comes to tracking certain history on a ticket - this could be important. 

JTL30

I am perplexed as to WHY we should be allowed to edit other peoples notes. Seems backwards to me. 

JKrantz
Contributor

this is actually a big one for us, in consulting we need to have those ethic walls between clients, limiting visability into notes would help alot

AYasinski

I find the limitation of permissions editing notes is VERY required option. Because each user should do his work not spending time nd nerves to double checking if everything is okay with notes he have made.
It also would be good to get a notification at least if somebody changed smething in other's notes.

MDolezal

We use notes/tasks for certain scoring and pricing activities, which certainly shouldn´t been editable by our sales reps. Limiting/permissions are crucial to us. 

ZVital

Hello @MDolezal @AYasinski @JKrantz

This appears to be new functionality added in to HubSpot. When looking at permission sets, Notes now appears as an object where you can restrict access:

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 3.12.54 PM.png

Best, 

Zoe

AngelaButler
Participant

Yes, please this would be so helpful to our everyday business practices. 

LDowdy
Contributor

I'm confused why Notes would be handled any different than assigning rights to other objects?  Why can I not decide if I want to allow others to Edit Notes?  Every business is different.  Completely understand one business saying that Notes are confidential and should not be viewed or changed by others.  But that is why there are settings for Viewing, Editing or Deleting?  Why would NOTES not have these options, so as a Super Admin, I can allow my teams to edit Notes?

Maybe I'm missing something.  

OR, if Notes is somehow different and cannot be given full rights, then I say a Note should take on the permissions of the Object it serves.  So if someone has the ability to edit and Delete data in a Company, and the Note is for the Company, then they should be able to edit the Note.  We either trust people or we don't.  Too many rules will also adversely affect the flexibility of the product.

IMontgomery

A note is a record; other users should not be able to edit the text of another user note. admins should be able to delete. if this isn't possible, then a log of edits on the note would also work.

AJT
Contributor

This is a great idea. Notes should have the same permissions as any other Object in Hubspot. Edit, View , and Delete per Team, Owned Only, or ALL. Please make this happen.

jcperezjc

users should not be able to edit the text of another user note and nobody be able to DELETE any Note if the admins set it. Notes should have the same permissions as any other Object Edit, View , and DELETE.

jcperezjc_0-1681738332367.png

KChemla

Yes, please this would be so helpful to our everyday business practices. 

BFrischknecht

The overall changes to notes over the last few years feels like a big miss. Reading this thread and based on my own experience, it seems like

1. the original idea here was to give Notes their own permissions.
  2. Next, this was picked up by the crowd that wanted ot limit notes access.
  3. Then, HubSpot made changes so it isn't even possible to give regular users the ability to edit or delete notes.
  4. Now, users like myself, LDowdy, IMontgomergy, and AJT are all pointing out that we've now lost the ability to control notes. 

I understand why some would want to limit permissions on notes. Great. That seems like that would elevate the function and flexibility of Notes in teh platform. However, I don't understand why HubSpot would feel it is important to take away the ability to collaborate across notes (i.e., enable permissions for editing and deleting notes). 

For my organization, this eliminates the ability to use HubSpot as a collaboration tool where a project can be managed, a narrative can be extended, or a collection of contact intelligence can be found in one place and contributed to by those that have permissions. Notes used to be that place, but it doesn't seem like it is now.

I would like to have all customer facing activities living in HubSpot, but without the ability to collaborate IN THE SAME PLACE, then HubSpot has ceded ground to the Google Drives, Notions, Basecamps, and Asana's of the world. 

I hope I have this wrong, and it is possible to enable users to edit Notes. Please share if you've developed a work around.

KChemla

À quand la MAJ ! @hubspot 

JTroskie
Participant | Diamond Partner

It's valuable to have the ability for all users to view all notes but only edit their own notes. I don't see a reason why a user would need to edit another user's notes, this is not required. 

JTree

I completely agree - Note should not be editable at all, except by the user who added them, such as if they made a mistake.

There should be permissions to edit a note and separate permissions to delete a note.