HubSpot Ideas

MarkSRasmussen

Ability to disable users

When users leave the company we want to remove their access to HubSpot. If we delete a user, their names are deleted from history. e.g. "User A created a Note" will no longer contain User A's name, but rather an internal number identifier, rendering it useless.

As such, when a user leaves, we have to keep their account open, though with a reset password. This means the user is still present in lists, autocompletes, etc. when using the product, which can be confusing and prone to errors for other employees.

Just like every other CRM on the market allows, it should be possible to "Disable" a HubsSpot user, retaining all history but removing the user from all lists and disallowing logins.

102 Replies
pince101
Participant

I also wanted to add that suspension/disabling is also very useful when you have freelancers who work on your project a few times a year (for example, a creative who works on designing marketing templates, etc). In this case, having the ability to suspend a user when they're done with a short project and then renable their account a few months later would save a lot of time (don't have to delete and recreate account/permissions) as well as allow for continuity in terms of ownership of assets.

YiRui_Chua
HubSpot Employee

Hi team,

Commenting for a customer here.

There's a lot of used case to this and glad to know that it is being reviewed. Hope to have an update soon!

LanaTDC

I am super surprised that isnt a funtion yet. 

DEbert
Contributor

Please bring this feature. It can't be that Hubspot is the only tool on the market that doesn't come with a full user management.

bunners007
Participant | Platinum Partner

Any news on this, @Flora ?

Best,

Bjørn

JenniferErena
Contributor

Agree, time for an update. 

@Flora 

ITPlannit

Amazing to think that this basic functionality is still not present after 4 years! It is the basis of IT security, immediately deactivating the account of an employee who leaves the company. Yes it is possible to transfer tasks, contacts, etc., but as a system administrator I do not have the skills (even if I know very well where to click, but it's not my job to kno that task). In addition, as some mentions, we lose the history of who created things by deleting the user!

Please, it is more that as long as this function is in place!

liberworm
Contributor

I noticed within the last few days that you can actually choose "Deactivate User" from the edit menu in the Users page. Here is a link to the knowledgebase article: 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/add-and-remove-users

I think this actually resolves most issues in this thread (though I have not checked all to confirm)

VincentPace
Participant

@liberworm That feature looks new but the knowledgebase article you linked doesn't appear to really describe what it does. Seems like they might be adding the feature we've all been calling for in this thread but they haven't updated the documentation yet.

If any one actually tries to play around with the Deactive user command, I'd be curious to know how it goes.

JenniferErena
Contributor

Yes, I look forward to learning more.  Always hope we keep our employees, but nice to see!

JenniferErena_0-1631705306957.png

The knowledge base doesn't have deactivate user, only remove from account.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/add-and-remove-users

vvannoy

This feature is not available to our Hubspot product. Does anyone know how to get this added if I don't see it available?

There is no information available on this Hubspot. 

Thank you 

liberworm
Contributor

@vvannoy 

I am not sure if this helps but you may have to remove the paid seats from a users profile before you can make them inactive. This is an assumption based on this note in the "Add and remove users" knowledgebase article: Please note: to remove a Sales Hub StarterProfessional, or Service Hub Professional user from your HubSpot account, you must first remove their user's access to paid sales and service tools.

ITPlannit

I don't have this option in my account too ... Who knows how we can have it?

ITPlannit_0-1631721473924.png

VincentPace
Participant

@ITPlannit I see it in that very menu in Settings > Users & Teams:

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 11.00.15 AM.png

I did absolutely nothing to get it there… perhaps they're beta testing it on a subset of the user base?

vvannoy

I just inquired with Hubspot support and it is in fact in beta testing with people opted in. Once they have finished testing they will deploy it to all products and update documentation and notifications. I think we have to wait just a bit longer. It's taken 4 years... so I guess we can wait longer. 

Flora
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all! 

Thanks for the feedback- we are currently in beta with user deactivation. This will be coming to all portals in the next week. I appreciate the patience everyone!

Best,

Flora

RLandolt
Participant

That's great news, Flora. Thank you!

michaelarroyo

I will never understand HubSpot logic. We finally were given the ability to deactivate users of our account! Thank you. 

HOWEVER - Why in the world would HubSpot send an email to the deactivated user letting them know "Your Administrator has revoked your access to [company]'s HubSpot account."? It's our account, not theirs. If we wanted to notfy them, it should be an option not a automated email. Administrator's limit employees accesses for a multitude of reasons, we don't always want them seeing that. 

JenniferErena
Contributor

I have not had the opportunity to test the new function.  thank you, @michaelarroyo, for letting us know an email goes out.

Seems like there could be the same function as setting up a new user - the email can be supressed in that process.

liberworm
Contributor

Thank you @michaelarroyo for noting that and email goes out. That is not something we would want. However I understand it may be there as a check to make sure someone is not accidently deactivated. @Flora Could this be given as a choice when an employee is deactivated? Yes, send the system message (and state the message text; Yes, I want to send a custom message (and give the option to create email in a popup/modal on same screen; or No, do not notify