HubSpot Ideas

JaclynSchmitz

Ability to A/B Test with Sequences

It would be great to have the ability to easily a/b test with email sequences. Certain emails within the sequence may perform better with variable wording, but there is no easily way to test this. 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
December 01, 2023 08:12 AM

A/B Testing Sequences is now live! 

A/B testing is a great way to figure out what resonates best with your prospects and optimize your content for outcomes. Navigate to Automation > Sequences to create a new sequence or start testing an existing one. Within any email step, you'll see the option to add an A/B test. Sends will split automatically and you'll be able to monitor results for each version.

sequences-ab-testing.png

For more details on testing and best practices check out this knowledgebase article.  

Best,
Ana

August 29, 2023 05:35 AM

@KhalidK Great question. 

Given this example sequence: 

Email 1 (A/B) -> Email 2 (A) -> Email 3 (A/B)

1. Email 1 will be split with 50 contacts receiving A and 50 receiving B. All 100 contacts would receive Email 2 (A). Email 3 will also be split with 50 contacts receiving A and 50 receiving B. 

2. Randomization is per step in the sequence. If a contact receives version A of Email 1, they still have a 50/50 chance of receiving A or B for Email 3. 

I hope this helps clarify! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm also happy to connect on a feedback call if you'd like to discuss in more depth.  

In Planning
May 19, 2023 08:39 AM

Hi Community, 

Thank you so much for the feedback and perspectives on this post. We understand how critical this feature is to experiment and improve your sequence performance and I am excited to say the ability to A/B test emails in a sequence is currently in progress! 

I'll be in touch with more updates when we're further along and ready for beta testers. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or feedback. 

Best, 

Ana

125 Replies
donrua
Top Contributor

Hubspot Developers - Please include A/B testing native to new marketing tools on your roadmap. The name of the game in marketing is testing, experiments, let the data tell you what works.

When it comes to sequences, you want to try 4-5 subject lines, different frequency, copy length, opening lines, preview text. All for the same themed sequence and persona. How are we supposed to see those "part of our job" data points if there's not view or A/B testing component? We have to spend major time building dashboards or reports to see them compared, only to delete it after because A/B testing is something you test, pick winner, and move on to the next text constantly.

Popups, forms, sequences, email marketing, it's core to Marketing. 

BVigil

I completely agree! This makes total sense!

glaurain
Contributor

Over 220 upvotes.  Any update from @hubspot @product team on whether this has been scheduled yet?

IamYIZ
Contributor

Surprised this isn't  yet available. Most of Hubspot's competitors that offer sales sequences have this and it's necessary.

IamYIZ
Contributor

Why the kangaroo has Hubspot not responded to this or even appreciated the benefit of this from the onset. This is offered by the vast majority of sales sequence platform.

mikeraia
Participant

I'm beginning to wonder if this feature hasn't been implemented because sequences are supposed to be one-on-one emails and are not supposed to be used as a "mass email/outbound" tool like Outreach.io where you would do statistically significant testing? Other than that I can't think of why this hasn't been implemented.

DNichols
Participant

This sure would be nice to have!

SDeNez

Perfect

PGreene

Great idea, wanting to do this right now. The way we're going to get around it is to randomly enroll contacts in 2 different sequences. Annoying that it has to be done this way

MaxxJoi

PLEASE_cd71c.gif

annieg241
Contributor
We need this. Any update here?
EReynolds8

Yes please!

JFiliatrault

How is this not on the roadmap? Sales email tools have a lot of catching up to do, I can't believe we still can't A/B test and branch campaigns 🤦‍♂️

SSpanier

2 years since posting and nothing has been developed... I've taken my emailing out of Hubspot solely because of A/B testing. Dissapointing to see that it's still not being addressed.

CGomes08

This is a major flaw that just ignited our analysis of competitor alternatives.

APianta

I can't believe this isn't a thing... Please add this.

APianta

Let's goooooooo!

GMittleman

+1

MTimmins

Yes please

JPD123

I've been following this for two years now. Next month we're dropping Sales Hub in favor of a competitor who offers real, useful AB testing.