HubSpot Ideas

quentin_lamamy

[API] Primary key check when inserting company

To API developers : I really love your work on the api V3 and there is a little thing you can change to make api V3 users happy. It's not critical but on my mind a high priority to make the api really usefull for company import. Here is the point

Issue :

Actually documentation says :

"Please note: companies created through API will not be deduplicated by the Company domain name property"

It make no sense, we need to check before each insert if a company with same key exist, it cost time to our import workflow and cost load on your server.

Expected behaviour :

The solution is to add a defautlt primary key on company domain which is really unique, and maybe let us during the request add a parameter for a custom field of combination of field.

If needed feel free to contact me to talk about my feedback on API v3, (in the past i use to create complex api for my startup, and i'm able to code in php and nodeJs)

Regards

hsSign_smaller.png

2 Replies
nstansby
Participant

I don't agree with this suggestion - merging based on company domain is not necessarily what everyone wants.  In our specific case, we often have separate business relationships with two or more groups within a larger company.  They bill separately, and may be managed by different reps.  With the status quo, I can represent these groups as separate companies (and optionally a parent company linked through associations), and then we can see the full interaction history for each group under the appropriate company.  If they were merged, then two or more completely separate relationships would get mixed together into a single timeline.

In short I think it's better to offer an easy way to deduplicate, but not do it automatically.  Doing it automatically means making a lot of assumptions about how people are using the product, and would remove a lot of flexibility.

quentin_lamamy
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

It’s the behaviour of hubspot app to use domain as primary key , so it’s the expected behaviour to have iso between app and api,  debate on this is a waste of time , it’s juste the logical way and the way any standard api works.

By the way my post is not about which key hubspot app should use but it’s on adding on API , like for contact a duplicate check based on the regular primary key and maybe as optional a custom one as optional (if some people have specific and strange workflow)

hsSign_smaller.png