HubSpot Ideas

jackvill32

A simple way to let users resubscribe to emails

The current system is embarrassing. Either they have to find an old email (which often they can't) or they have to go to a form, which requires sending them a form, which requires them filling out and seeing an unintuitive bit of text (which is clickable but doesn't look lie it) and clicking that to be sent another email which contains a way of unsubscribing, rendering the submitting of the form you sent them redundant. Many people will click submit on the original form, thinking they have now been resubscribed, but they haven't been.   This needs to be rethought.

Thanks

62 Replies
YiRui_Chua
HubSpot Employee

Helping a customer to post this comment, and I too agree that some refinement to the resubscription email functionality will be great!

(1) For resubscription email, contacts who are not fully unsubscribed should be able to trigger the email as well to manage their preferences.

• Currently, contact must be fully opt out to see the resubscription email link. There will be times when a contact is still subscribed to certain communication types. This would make it very difficult for him to trigger the resubscription email.

(2) Having the submit button to trigger the resubscription email will be much more useful than the link. If not, changing the link to a clearer CTA button would be really helpful.

tristfinn
Participant

This would be a very good addition to allow contacts to resubscribe or check current subscription status.

I'm trying to work around it for the time being by creating a landing page with a form with just the email address input field. I've then hidden the "submit" button. A contact can be presented with this page, add their email and wait for the warning message to display. While it seems to work ok'ish, the problem comes in when a contact has only unsubscribed to certain subscription types or hasnt unsubscribed at all, no way of showing either message. 

If anyone has implemented a viable solution, it'd be good to hear how you've done so. 

MKoolaji

Today we had exactly same problem. This is very counter intuitive for something that is very easy to handle. I have dealt with Intercom, ActiveCampaign, and few other solutions, and all have a basic rule of thumb:

- If the user is filling up any form in the website which has the Permission section, then people are willingly giving the persmission. If they change mind, they can easily again in 1st email they get, unsubscribe. Easy for users, companies, and HS to handle.

Now, HS, even if the user is giving the permission when filling the form, does not give the right to user to get what they want! And requires the user to have rediculus back and forth steps to resubscribe to emails. Most rediculus of all is that let's say we have 3 defult susbscription types, if user individually unchecks all, still they will be able to see the line in forms to resubscribe, they must've specifically clicked on the CTA "Uusubscribe all communication" to see it!!!  What's the diferrence there? Uncheckmarking all susbcriptions is equal to clicking on"Uusubscribe all communication". But the HS did not see that!!! 😂

Anyway, the resubscrption now is really counter intuitive and involves many unncessary steps. It would be great if HS rethinks this and make it easier.

tristfinn
Participant

We've gone ahead and tried to use the subscription API to allow contacts to subscribe and unsubscribe from subscription types. This works well for the unsubscribes, but... Hubspot doesn't allow the resubscription through the API? Why not? What's the point?

NatalieNo1
Participant

UPVOTE UPVOTE UPVOTE 

ATeipen

I agree with the above. Likely many ways to address this issue and make it easier on the company and the customers! Upvote!

RTonner

By auto-opting back in with a form fill, it would create a much better experience for users. Please! Upvote.

NatalieNo1
Participant

UPVOTE UPVOTE UPVOTE

AMezulisPhD

Upvote! Very basic. Please fix.

RBiedenharn

I've written up my own experience and several options in the Developers » APIs & Integrations forum:
Inability to use Subscription API to resubscribe 

If you're using (or hoping to use; or just willing to use) the API for managing subscriptions, please consider an upvote there, too.

ERishaug

Upvote!

CBravo5

upvote!

Julie_leBlanc

Upvoting this one too!

SHolzbach

Upvote of course.

NatalieNo1
Participant

UPVOTE x Infinity

LBorges
Contributor

UPVOTE UPVOTE UPVOTE

This is currently not smart

thomasvbe
Contributor

Upvoted, had the same issues over here. They told me to submit it to the forum. But I see already a lot of likewise concerns.

tristfinn
Participant

Out of interest, does anyone know how many comments/upvotes are required before these kind of requests get on HubSpots development radar?

Gumbie315

upvote asap please!

CDay
Participant

There's another community post from 2017(!) with this same issue, and all HS seems to be able to respond with is to try to improve your resubscribe email. That does no good when people aren't even clicking the link under the form to resubscribe! 

I asked a support rep yesterday if we could keep users who are unsubscribed from submitting a form, but no use. They're focused on their own agenda.