HubSpot Community Blog

himanshurauthan
by: Thought Leader | Elite Partner
Thought Leader | Elite Partner

How To Train Your Mind To Excel During Uncertain Times?

Being an entrepreneur is not easy. Apart from creativity and business ideas, it requires the right mindset to make things happen. As an entrepreneur, your mind is often reeling on so many ideas, but you might not be able to find the courage to turn them into action. 

I ran into this challenge so many times that I wanted to bring some significant changes, but found it difficult to take a firm step. There was also a time when I used to doubt my capabilities more than I ever had before. Later, I understood being a successful entrepreneur is all about how my mind functions in an uncertain situation. 

Commonly, if you’re an entrepreneur and started a new venture, you must have experienced situations that didn't go how you intended. I've been there, and it made me think, “Have I done the right thing by starting this venture?” or “Am I doing justice to my work?” Thoughts like these can freeze your mind, and that is the last thing you want when you feel stuck. It is very important to train your brain to fight and survive these situations. 

In this article, I want to share how I trained my mind to excel at uncertain times over the years.

Never Fear To Explore

himanshurauthan_0-1626899429995.jpeg

Being an entrepreneur is all about being adventurous. Chartering the unknown routes should be part of your entrepreneurial journey. In the beginning, I was really scared to explore areas of my business that I'd had no solid experience with. 

Then how did I overcome it?

I changed from being afraid to being curious. Wasn’t that simple? So, whenever you are stuck in a situation where you have to decide on something you don’t have any experience with, just be more curious instead of being afraid to take a step. 

Once you train yourself to be curious instead of being anxious, then you’ve successfully trained yourself to make hard decisions in uncertain times.

Learn To Take Risks

himanshurauthan_1-1626899429957.jpeg

In the early days when I was starting with my new venture MakeWebBetter back in 2016, I used to be very stressed about everything. To be honest, it happens with everyone who decides to start on his own. One day I thought how long I was going to continue stressing for every decision, and I had to stop it somewhere.

That’s when I decided to trust my gut, and by the time I was ready to launch my venture, I learned to take risks. To excel in uncertain situations as an entrepreneur, you have to train your mind to take bigger risks in life. Once you train yourself to trust your instincts, you’ll automatically adapt yourself to make quick decisions in the toughest situations.

Taking bigger risks just based on my instincts helped me in making my mind resistant to stress.

himanshurauthan_2-1626899429956.jpeg

Learn To Appreciate Yourself

himanshurauthan_3-1626899430008.jpeg

Entrepreneurship demands firm goals and planning for constant progress. At the same time, it is really important to recognize the milestones you’ve already covered. It often occured to me that things didn’t go the way I planned them, and that's very common.

Yet, what I did at first was conceive every failure as my defeat. This made me discredit all my achievements over just a single failure. Over time, I realized that I have to do something about it, since I can't give up so easily on small failures as an entrepreneur. I started to take a moment every day to assess my progress and realize how far I’ve gone.

Whenever I succumbed to failure I would tell myself, “It’s just a small hurdle. It’s nothing against what you’ve achieved in the past.” What you need to learn and what I’ve learned from my earlier mistakes is:

• Failure is just a stepping stone instead, use it as a learning tool.
  • Take a moment to pat yourself and be grateful for what you’ve achieved.

Learn to Ask What Is Yours

himanshurauthan_4-1626899429999.jpeg

The best part of being an entrepreneur is asking what you want and what you deserve. Many times I asked for something in my business that I knew will be difficult to achieve. In these scenarios, people often tend to compromise and take the easy way out. Believe me, that’s the worst you can do to yourself. 

Then what should you exactly do?

The answer is simple, “Learn to ask what is yours.” You have to learn to start asking what you deserve and start being direct about what you deserve, especially in times when it is hard to achieve.

For instance, decide the prices of your products and services on what you want to earn, rather than what you think buyers will pay for it. Of course, be realistic with your prices without settling for too little. 

This one tip eventually trained my mind to understand my real worth, and eventually I started to get what I deserved.

Seek For Positive Individuals In Your Company

himanshurauthan_5-1626899430010.jpeg

Every human being is bound to be influenced by others to some extent. Whatever your business venture or whatever position you’re in, there will always be someone who tries to bring you down. Of course, you should hear constructive criticism, but too much of it can be destructive and can lead you to a state of self-doubt. 

Fortunately, I quickly realized that leading myself to a state of self-doubt can be hazardous for my overall development. I took charge of cutting all the nay-sayers and started to seek the company of more positive individuals. Surrounding yourself with supportive individuals - whether they are friends, family, or team members - can help you feel better and train your mind to excel during uncertain times.

Stay Healthy And Stay Fit

himanshurauthan_6-1626899430004.jpeg

We all know work is worship, but our bodies and mind are no less than a temple. The best way to serve it is by staying healthy and staying fit. It is a well-known fact that a healthy and well-nourished body fosters efficient thinking. It keeps the stress levels under check and lets your mind perform well in uncertain times.

Final Words…

Being an entrepreneur is never as easy as it seems. The big challenge that we face every day is to think of new ideas to stay in business. This shouldn’t keep anyone from pursuing their dreams.

The main thing you need is the ability to make decisions that move you forward in your entrepreneurship journey, especially in those difficult, uncertain times. I'd love to hear the HubSpot Community's opinions on how they've progressed in their own entrepreneurial pursuits!  

3 Comments