HubSpot Academy Support

coachkevin

cannot access "practical exercises" in 1st lesson

Started digging in to learn Hubspot. First lesson I was directed to was "Prospecting in Hubspot, Pt 1". Went through the vids, took the quiz - passed, cannot do practical exercises as they appear done already. No certifications in my academy transcript, no congratulations email, does the same in other browsers. 

I am quite sure i never did this exercise of "filtering my contacts" as I have not even improted my outlook contacts nor created any yet (prefer to import, hope all data comes across) in HS. 

When I first began the lesson, I noticed the last lesson icon was orange and checked - as if completed - but I thought that might be normal, or let me retake/review the item. It does not.
"Click 'Start exercise' to begin.
When you've finished the exercise, it'll be graded within 24 hours.
You must pass this exercise to become certified."

There is no "Start" button, only the continue which takes me to the next set of lessons.

Screenshot 2020-03-12 17.49.01.png

6 Replies 6
KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hey friends--Kyle, here. I did a little digging into this, and while I don't have answers to all of your questions, I do have a few insights that I hope will be helpful:

First, there isn't a way for me to look up your progress based on your community accounts, so I can't speak to specifics--except for Kevin, because his screenshot showed enough information about his account that I was able to track it down. So all of the information below is unique to Kevin, but I assume a similar story is in play for the rest of you.

Kevin--according to our system, the Filter Your Contacts practical exercise is the only one of the four practical exercises you've completed, and you haven't attempted the exam yet. It sounds like that matches what you're seeing inside your account, and the main point of confusion, here, is why Filter Your Contacts is completed, since you didn't do it. I don't have a good answer for that, but I can tell you that our system thinks you completed that exercise 8 months ago.

With all that as context, I have two main thoughts:

1. You should be able to complete the course without any technical difficulty. If didn't actually do the Filter Your Contacts exercise, I guess we can call it a freebie--but I'd definitely encourage you to head over to your contacts and do some filtering anyway because 1) it's fun, 2) it's a useful skill to have, and 3) what kind of teacher would I be if I didn't insist on you doing your homework?

2. I have no memory of what I was doing 8 months ago, but if you have some kind of evidence that you didn't do a random practical exercise 8 months ago (like if you didn't even have a HubSpot account yet, for instance), that would be useful information for me to take back to my team so we can continue to look into this. To be fully transparent, I don't think it's likely that our engineering team will see this as an urgent problem, since it isn't preventing anyone from earning their certification, but I would like to pull together a case for fixing this if there really is a bug in our system (again, my teacherly sensibilities don't exactly love the idea of people getting credit for work they haven't done Smiley Tongue )

On a personal note, I'd like to thank all of you on this thread for your honesty. It's a rare person who complains about having to skip an assignment! But if you continue on with the rest of the course, there are three additional exercises that (God willing) won't mark themselves complete until you've done the work.

Happy HubSpotting!

Kyle

0 Upvotes
psholly

the same situation

cristinaAW
Academy Team
Academy Team

@psholly You are also all set!

0 Upvotes
cristinaAW
Academy Team
Academy Team

Hi @coachkevin,

Thank you for reaching out! Ah, I see the confusion here. Just to clarify, if at any time you filtered contacts at all, this exercise would have been triggered and completed. It doesn't neccissarily have to be started from the certification page. You probably at one point in your HubSpot account, filtered contacts and it triggered a completion which is why you are seeing the continue button.

I hope this helps.

best,

Cristina

0 Upvotes
llsd
Participant

Hello Cristina,

Am in the same situation as @coachkevin and I do not remember ever filtering my contacts. Should I just ignore the exercise and assume that I will be eligible for certification?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Upvotes
cristinaAW
Academy Team
Academy Team

Hi @llsd,

Yes it looks like you are all set and the exercise has been successfully completed and passed 🙂

Best,
Cristina 

0 Upvotes