Gmail Sales Extension

benfrankie

false positive click?

SOLVE

Hi, 

I have Hubspot email tracking installed on my google chrome browser and it says someone I emailed opened my email several times and click on the link in the email body. 

But the email recepient said he didn't even receive the email. 

Is it possible for Hubspot email tracking to send me false notification or is it most likely the person lying? 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

false positive click?

SOLVE

Hi @benfrankie

In my experience, pixel-based email tracking is very unreliable. Multiple flase opens and clicks can be generated under certain circumstances (spam filters for example) and it's not unusual for a contact to incorrectly remember what emails they have seen and clicked, so either explanation could be true. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Phil_Vallender
Solution

false positive click?

SOLVE

Hi @benfrankie

In my experience, pixel-based email tracking is very unreliable. Multiple flase opens and clicks can be generated under certain circumstances (spam filters for example) and it's not unusual for a contact to incorrectly remember what emails they have seen and clicked, so either explanation could be true. 

Hope this helps.

MagicMan

false positive click?

SOLVE

Question: If what the Diamond level Hubspot expert states is true, "pixel-based email tracking is very unreliable", then may I ask what is the point of the tracking service?  Perhaps a "Feel Good" measurement?!

0 Upvotes
MagicMan

false positive click?

SOLVE

I just read further down and see that the e-mail needs to be with a link or other identifier to optimize the tracking.  Thank you Phil.  But one more question: what will it take for/of the technology to effectively monitor just the e-mail tracking itself?

0 Upvotes
hrambin
Participant

false positive click?

SOLVE

Phil - thanks - is therea fix/work around?

hrambin@moodyrambinint.com

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

false positive click?

SOLVE

Hi @hrambin 

Nothing perfect. 

For marketing emails, it's a good idea to use form submisssions (best) or page views (ok) as a measure of engagement. 

For sales emails, there's nothing I can suggest. 

Thanks, Phil.

0 Upvotes