Why does it show my contacts are opening emails dozens of times in a short time span?

Highlighted
Visitor

I get notifications constantly that my contacts are opening the same email over and over and I know they are not.  This morning it shows that one of my contacts opened the same email 7 times over the span of 45 minutes.  I haven't removed my own company contacts yet, and the above example is actually a coworker of mine and they said that is not the case.  We both assummed that since the email is at the top of his inbox, that everytime he deletes a new email that his scroll bar on Outlook ends up hovering over that email over and over again, hence all the notifications.  But he's actually not clicking on the email and opening it; so what prompts the notification to be sent from HubSpot?

Hope my explanation of this scenario makes sense.  Could we be right; does HubSpot send a notifaction even if the email is just highlighted from the list on your inbox, despite it not really being opened again?  If it's highlighted (inadvertantly or not), it still ends up in the preview window ... so maybe HubSpot uses that to track an "open"?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4
Resident Expert

@RyPC A couple of thoughts:

does anyone who has access to this email using a mobile device?  I get false positives when checking emails from my iphone. 

depending on the type of job the receiver has and how many people have access to that particular email it is possible.

are there CC or BCC other than the HubSpot BCC? this could cause errors in opening. 

0 Upvotes
Visitor

The example I mentioned did not have a CC or BCC.  The recipient does have a mobile device, but that's pretty much the norm now.  So if checking email via a mobile device causes false positives, then the tracking is going to be way off.  Using this tool to measure customer engagement with a particular email is extremely flawed if I'm being told the email was opened when it was really just the selection bar landing on the email by default because the email in the list ahead of it was deleted.  The customer may have never even opened the email, but I still get a notification that they did ... am I reading your response correctly?

0 Upvotes
Resident Expert

@RyPC there are several community posts about mobile the mobile app and mobile use. I can not quickly find them right now.  

If I am understanding you correctly then yes you have interpreted correctly.

If i open an email to a contact on my mobile device, there is a false positive of email activity. 

@jennysowyrda anything I missed?

0 Upvotes
Visitor

Thanks.

0 Upvotes