Gmail Sales Extension

JHebert
Contributor

Not all messages from known contacts are propagated from email to the contact record in HubSpot

SOLVE

When some of my Hubspot contacts send a new email to my corporate email address, I receive the email in my Gmail inbox, but there is no entry in the contact record in HubSpot. As a result, I am not notified by HubSpot that I've received an email from one of my contacts.

1. This only happens for some contacts.
2. This occurs only for new email threads, not conversations that originated from HubSpot or were forwarded to HubSpot using the HS forwarding address.
3. Once the conversation is recorded in the contact record, any replies I receive or send in this message thread are captured/reflected in the message thread in HubSpot and my Gmail Inbox.
4. This is also an issue for another user who uses the Outlook email integration.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Not all messages from known contacts are propagated from email to the contact record in HubSpot

SOLVE

Hi @JHebert,

Thank you for the detailed requests and information. What you're describing is exactly expected behavior. HubSpot does not automatically capture new emails from contacts on the contact records, only replies to emails sent from HubSpot, using the extensions or the BCC address. This is also explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/log-email-replies-in-the-crm#requirements-for-a-reply-to-log

Users who first learn about this are sometimes frustrated and I empathize. If you want to have the original email in HubSpot, you would use the forwarding email address or the BCC address when replying to the contact.

(There isn't any setting in HubSpot or the extensions which would change this behavior.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JHebert,

Thank you for the detailed requests and information. What you're describing is exactly expected behavior. HubSpot does not automatically capture new emails from contacts on the contact records, only replies to emails sent from HubSpot, using the extensions or the BCC address. This is also explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/log-email-replies-in-the-crm#requirements-for-a-reply-to-log

Users who first learn about this are sometimes frustrated and I empathize. If you want to have the original email in HubSpot, you would use the forwarding email address or the BCC address when replying to the contact.

(There isn't any setting in HubSpot or the extensions which would change this behavior.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JRCherry

SOLVE

I have a somewhat similar issue, though it's not with new threads. 

For a specific account hubspot only records the emails we send (outgoing), but the replies are never captured.  Is there a setting I'm missing? 

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JRCherry, hope you are doing well. 

Could you please provide more context?  Are those emails sent from the CRM or from an email provider? Is it Gmail? Hotmail? Outlook? 

Thanks,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
JHebert
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello Karsten,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, this wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but it makes sense, technically. I incorrectly assumed that a new email coming into Gmail by a HubSpot contact would somehow be recognized by the integration/extension for Gmail.

It's unfortunate that I can't rely solely on HubSpot to inform me when a contact has sent me a new message via my corporate email address. I will use the Hubspot forwarding address to capture the original conversation in the contact's record and respond via HubSpot.

Thanks again for your reply

0 Upvotes
JuanGomez0818
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hey, the email address existing on Hubspot, or the user who sends this email is a new contact? if is a new contact you need to create this email in Hubspot.

You have two ways to do this, one is going to Hubspot to make this new contact or through the Hubspot plugin, you could check the extension here.

Another thing you could check is the status of your email, is already connected?
go to Settings > General > Email and check the status.

JuanGomez0818_0-1667510461534.png

Regards.

Juan Gómez
Hubspot Consultant | HubSpot Freelancer | Hubspot Solution Provider |

Contáctame aquí

JHebert
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello Juan,

Karsten Köhler replied and educated me about the expected behavior regarding new emails from HubSpot contacts. I do appreciate your reply and willingness to assist.

0 Upvotes
JHebert
Contributor

SOLVE

To save some questions:
 1. The email address that is saved for the contact in HubSpot is the same email address that is used to send the message. This is viewable in Gmail and it corresponds to the address store for the email address property in HubSpot.

0 Upvotes