Losing focus on the To line (Gmail Extension)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The Gmail Extension take the focus off the To: field when composing a message - this happens when using keyboard shortcut (C) or when using the button (Compose). It's confusing since this is not the standard behavior of Gmail and to which I've been used to for years. Is there any reason why this can't be fixed? I see it has been a problem for some time now. 

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

I came here to say this. It's pretty challenging when you're used to using the hotkeys in gmail. I spend all day in there, moving quickly, and hotkeys are so essential for that workflow. This plugin makes it so that when you hit C (compose) or F (forward) your cursor is no longer in the "To" field (which is default gmail behavior). So you have to go grab the mouse and move it back to the To field.

Even worse, out of habit, I'll start typing the recipients name - but because the cursor is not in the "to" field, depending on the person's name, you might archive the email, or flag it, or move it because their name contains the characters for those hotkey actions. (e.g. E is archive - if the person has an E in their name, you'll archive the email and suddenly it's gone. If they have multiple Es you could do this for a few emails - very confusing.)

I hope this is a bug that can be fixed! 🙂

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Agreed. It's a multi-year pattern of behavior that this glitch interrupts. It seems like a very easy fix to a problem that has been lingering for awhile now. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Agreed. This change in default functionality is killing my productivity in Gmail!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Must say that Hubspot service when selling their product is exemplary. However, this is a significant issue for our organisation and I'm extremely disappointed that Hubspot support doesn't appear to be tracking or addressing.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted

I've seen the same issue with 'f' for forward.

I'm using Gmail app in Chrome v67.0 on Mac v10.13.4

Without the Hubspot extension, pressing 'f' creates a Forward and immediatly shifts focus to 'To:' so I can start typing the receipients name.

With the Hubspot extension, it does create the Forward but does NOT shift focus to the 'To:'. And it appears that Gmail is still listening for shortcuts.

• Press 'f' to forward
  • Habit: expect it to be in To field so start typing the recipient's name
  • if the recipient's name has an 'r' in it, the message is switched to reply
  • if ... 'a' in it, it's switched to reply all
  • after either of those shortcuts are recognized, it DOES shift focus into the body field.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Has there been any feedback from hubspot on this? It is super annoying. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Nothing, and I escalated a number of times through the people who called re upselling, who were very keen to tell me they would get someone to look at the issue, not a priority for them I suspect. It was too annoying for me so I just uninstalled the GMail extension and now use Hubspot through Hubspot only which works well for us.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Sorry but what is a priority for Hubspot? I feel like nothing has changed in the Sales interface since I began paying for the system in January. I would expect a lot faster development cycle from a company like this. Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed. Most tools in the Sales suite are sub-par.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

I just tweeted Hubspot Support and requested an update.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Agreed. This little UI bugger needs to be fixed. Thanks for posting.

0 Upvotes