Gmail Sales Extension

RFischl
Participant

Logging emails sent to contacts when HubSpot extension is not signed in

The example issue I have is this:

HubSpot Gmail extension logs out for various reasons (e.g., Chrome updates, new Chrome browser sign-in, laptop restart, switching between Gmail accounts or HubSpot accounts, etc.). I then log back into my Gmail account but forget to log back into the HubSpot Gmail extension. I am now actively sending emails, but HubSpot does not track these emails. Unless I receive a response to the email I have sent, there is no simple way of adding the email to a contact's activity log. The only hack available is to log a manual email to the contact activities. This is time-consuming and has limitations:

1. Only the content of the email can be easily copied/pasted into the manual email log - the email date and time have to be entered manually.
  2. For emails with multiple contacts, the contact names need to be added to the log individually, which requires searching the "Contacted" input field by typing email addresses. This is especially cumbersome when the email gets delivered to multiple organizations.
  3. The email log can't be linked to the Gmail thread unless the contact responds.
  4. Even if the contact does respond,  the originally sent email content is not captured in the response, meaning the manual email log cannot be merged with the tracked thread. 

There is a closed community thread for the issue  "Log an email after it is sent"  that suggested the Manual Logging Section supplement BCC or FWD; however, the "accepted solution" does not address the issue (it only fixes FWD or BCC items). Can you add a third email address option to the Manual Logging Section to supplement BCC or FWD? This would allow us to add emails we have already sent to our contacts that weren't initially tracked. 

Please provide a timeline for when this feature is expected to become available. 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @RFischl,

@RFischl wrote:

however, the "accepted solution" does not address the issue (it only fixes FWD or BCC items)

Could you specify what you're referring to here? The forwarded email will be logged to the contact record in HubSpot that belongs to the sender of the email you're about to forward. If the email recipient is not associated to a contact record in HubSpot, a new record will be created.

What do you mean when you say "it only fixes FWD or BCC items"? The forwarding address does not consider CC or BCC.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

RFischl
Participant

Hi, I am the sender of the original email and I do not want to send the
email to anyone. I am only trying to log an email that I have already sent.
HubSpot didn't track the emails because the HubSpot Gmail extension
requires a separate login and is not synced to my Gmail login.

This is a high-frequency event as anytime I need to sign into Gmail again
(e.g., switching between my desktop/laptop/tablet, Chrome updates,
restarting my computer, switching between accounts, etc.), I need to
manually log into the HubSpot extension again. If I don't sign into HubSpot
immediately, any emails I send while I have yet to log back into the
HubSpot extension are not tracked. It's easier than you might think to
forget to log in - there are no warnings in Gmail that I am not signed into
the HubSpot extension.

My only options to resolve this currently require choosing between a
terrible UX, a bad CX, or a poor CRM:
1) Log the email in a multi-step, time-consuming, manual process that leads
to further issues