Gmail Sales Extension

dc-usa
Contributor

Log an email after it is sent

SOLVE

I am using the Gmail integration. I have set the "Log" unchecked by default because I send many non-sales related emails. 

Sometimes, I forget to press "Log" on an email prior to sending. Is there a way to retroactively log that email in Hubspot? 

1 Accepted solution
kvlschaefer
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

To anyone who comes by this thread,

Please upvote this related feature request in our Ideas Forum and add your feedback there. 

If you have a question related to this functionality, we would like to invite you to create a new thread in our Community. 

Thank you,

Kristen, HubSpot Community Team

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30
kvlschaefer
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

To anyone who comes by this thread,

Please upvote this related feature request in our Ideas Forum and add your feedback there. 

If you have a question related to this functionality, we would like to invite you to create a new thread in our Community. 

Thank you,

Kristen, HubSpot Community Team

LVanderbroek
Participant

SOLVE

We absolutely need the function to retroactively log an email with a click of a button. Thanks!

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LVanderbroek,

Thank you for your feedback! 

I would recommend upvoting this related feature request in the Ideas Forum and adding your feedback to it. 

The Ideas Forum is the best place to communicate your product suggestions and requests as it is monitored regularly by our Product Team.  

Best,

Kristen

RFischl
Participant

SOLVE

@dc-usa please update this thread unresolved - the "accepted solution" in the community forum does not address the issue (it addresses a different scenario, not this one).

Issue Example: HubSpot email add-in often logs out while I'm logged into my Gmail account and actively sending emails. Unless there is a response to my email, there is no way of adding the email I sent to HubSpot after the fact other than manually copying pasting email contents to the individual contact as a new activity log, which is far too time consuming, especially for when an email is sent to multiple contacts.

Could you possibly add a third email address to the Manual Logging Section to supplement BCC or FWD, since neither BCC or FWD resolve this specific issue?

Please provide a timeline when this feature is expected to become available. 

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @RFischl,

Thank you for reaching out. 

I would highly recommend you to please post this product suggestion at our ideas forum.

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well. 

Thank you,

Kristen

RFischl
Participant

SOLVE
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing, @RFischl

Upvoted 🙂 

Best,

Kristen

alxdean
Participant

SOLVE

Wow, nearly 4 years later and this simple feature, one which many, if not most, other CRM systems provide out of the box is not available. I don't want to forward an email I already sent. For that matter, I don't want to forward even an email that was sent to me. I simply want to press a button that then logs the email. Even better if I can log it against a deal! 

The first expert to answer the question, completely got it wrong and the second suggests to copy the email text, open a browser, navigate to hubspot, find the contact, go to emails, create a new email record, update all important metadata fields manually and then paste the email body. WOW. 

JWalczak
Contributor

SOLVE

I couldn't agree more, this seems like such a simple feature. Will HubSpot be addressing this anytime soon?

OPeters
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @IvanLalinde. This still doesn't solve the problem. The forwarding email only works if the email that you want to add to Hubspot comes from a contact already saved in Hubspot. The issue is when the contact that the email comes from is not a Hubspot contact, like an email from my accounts department or legal team about a customer, and I want to save that email to a Hubspot company or contact. Obviously my legal person is not saved as a contact on the customer's Hubspot account (they have nothing to do with the customer) so the forwarding solution does not work. I really just need to be able to click an option within an inbox or sent email to attach that to my desired company or contact record manually.

IvanLalinde
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

For people following this thread, I have just tested the functionality and indeed, sending the message to the BCC address in your portals did not serve for the message to be logged in the contact record.

What I did, was try using the Forward address (YourHubID@forward.hubspot.com) and that allowed the message to be logged in the contact record!

Please let me know if this helped you or not so we can further analyze this behavior.

ThreadsHelp2018
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi,

Threads can be used to retrospectively log emails in HubSpot. So if you send or receive an email from a contact and then add the contact to HubSpot, Threads will automatically scan your inbox and pick up any historic emails associated with that contacts email address. You can find out more on the HubSpot App Marketplace.

Hope this helps!

OPeters
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @ThreadsHelp2018 but this still doesn't help if I want to log an email from a third party, like one from my accounts person or legal team. Those people will not be associated with the (client) company, so even if Threads automatically scans my email inbox, it will still not attach the email to the correct company/contact.

raybowad
Participant

SOLVE

This issue was reported over 2 years ago and still no function to log an email after it has been sent?!  I had this functionality in Goldmine back in 2002 - its a basic need for CRMs. We need to be able to selectively log only key email interactions, not using a 6 step "workaround".

OPeters
Participant

SOLVE

Hi all,

Has this been sorted yet?

It's a big issue for our company as we often receive emails sent by our accounts team (who do not have Hubspot) to a client, copying my sales team in,  and we need to be able to log this correspondence against the Hubspot record. The only way to do so is the manual work around that @mattr101 mentioned to copy and log every email manually. That's very clunky.

It's curious that this is not a bigger issue on these boards. Other CRM Gmail extensions allow the logging of an email at any stage - even after it's been sent.

JavaTapAtlanta
Participant

SOLVE

so is there an answer to this?   Seems you cannot forward the email to the hubspot CC as then the email will not be "to" the right person?  So how do you do this?  Has anyone found a fix? 

JenP
Contributor

SOLVE

Just checking in, the solution that was given doesn't work for Outlook emails.  Has a solution for logging emails to contacts after it's been sent been found yet?

Sibylle888

SOLVE

I have the same question. I need to log emails after I send them from Outlook. 

mattr101
Participant

SOLVE

Hello all, 

Unfortunately, there is no way to automatically log an "already sent" email in HubSpot. However, you can use this manual work-around

Step 1) Copy the contents of your email. 

Step 2) Go to the recipient's profile in HubSpot. 

Step 3) Click "Log" and select "Log an Email"  OR  Click the "Email" tab and select "Log Email" 

Step 4) Paste the contents of your email in the "Describe the email..." section. 

Step 5) Change the Date and Time to reflect when your email was sent. 

This is a manual work-around that, while not ideal, will log your email in the contacts activity database for your future reference. 

bcade

SOLVE

Serious design flaw for HubSpot.  Other CRMs I've used allow you to do this.