I get open notifications from myself despite blocking my ip

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have already blocked my own IP address, yet hubspot notifications are still coming up when I am opening a client's email to reply, meaning that I am burning through them really quickly. I am using Apple mail on my Mac, but it is also doing the same thing if I use my gmail in Chrome with the hubspot extension. It's like it's totally ignoring the fact my IP is blocked.

Why is is still tracking these if I have blocked my IP? I have just double checked my IP and it is the same as on the block list,so why is it not working?

Please can anyone advise on this?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @sarahannwright can you confirm for me where you blocked your IP? What steps did you take to accomplish this?

Please note, if your activity is still not being filtered, it is likely that your mobile device, computer, or company uses a dynamic IP address, which means that it consistently changes. You can continue to update the IP address in the Blocked IP Address field.

If you are receiving notifications about your activity when reading email on your mobile device, check out this article to learn how to disable notifications for the HubSpot mobile app on your iPhone.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

+1. As @sarahannwright said, this continues to be a problem for me. It may be correlated with the release of the new Beta UI in Jan 2019, but I am not sure. My IP address is not dynamic; it's the same IP Comcast assigned me probably 1-2 years ago. Both my IPv4 and v6 addresses are in the Blocked IP list, yet any emails I accidentally touch in my Gmail (via Mail.app) trigger an open event. 

I should also note that occasionally, going back and simply opening a Contact record in Hubspot that is old (like 1+ years since last activity) often results in triggerin open activity as well (this is without me looking up or viewing those emails in my mail client whatsoever). 

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Top Contributor

Lately I've sometimes had issues with Gmail in Chrome on MacOS Mojave so I switch to using Firefox for gmail. However, when I do this, I get false positive read-receipts i.e. when I open (or preview) an email I get a read-receipt that the recipient has opened it.

I blocked my IP address to no avail. I also checked the blocked IP addresses in Firefox which seem to be different. Do you have to change it for each browser? Anyway, I added my IP address to the list in Firefox but still I'm getting false positives. There is no browser extension for Firefox right?

No, this is not due to changing IP addresses or opening the email on a mobile device as per the stock support answer.

I block my IP address in: Settings/Integrations/Email Integrations/Extension settings/Blocked IP Addresses

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Bryce,

Thanks for this - I don't use the Gmail UI in any brower almost ever. I use Mail.app that comes with the MacOS. Adding the IP to the filter list shouldnt affect browser choice as your IP will register the same way, regardless of which browser you are using, at least I think it should.   

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi @nicolebrenner 

This is still happening to me. I don't think I have a dynamic IP because it doesn't change. I have tried removing and readding my IP tp tthe blocked list, but I am still getting notifications on me opening my own emails which is frustrating. How can I fix this?

Do I need top update Chrome or the hubspot extension I'm using in it?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Top Contributor

Click on the Hubspot extension and check it doesn't offer for you to log in.

Also, check for a little green dot in the Hubspot logo at the top-right of gMail (also this will offer for you to log in if you aren't' logged in and you click on that)

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.03.16 AM.png

If you are logged in and still trigger your own notifications then I'm not sure what else to try other than logging out and in of gMail (I'm assuming you're using the gMail web client).

If you are on a consumer (not business) internet plan then most likely you will have a dynamic IP address. This will only change if you reboot your modem though (or the ISP reboots it at their end because you are having issues and call them. You can get a fixed IP address if you ask your ISP but it can cost extra and they might want to know why you want one on a consumer plan. You can easily check your IP address at places like https://whatsmyip.com/.

Also, Hubspot tells you what your current IP address is in the place where you set up IP addresses to ignore.

Setting/Integrations/Email Integrations/Hubspot Extensions/Extension Settings/Blocked IP Addresses/Manage

I'm not sure why they couldn't automate this where we'd tick a box to automate it and the system checks your current IP address with the one registered and if they don't match then update the registered address and block that one.