Gmail Sales Extension

Tim

How to import history emails from gmail?

SOLVE

Hi,

Is it possible to import my Gmail email history in Hubspot?

2 Accepted solutions
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello @Tim,

It isn't possible to retroactively import emails from Gmail into the Hubspot CRM.  One workaround is to manually log the email.  To do this, go to a contact record, click "Log Activity", change "Log a Call" to "Log an Email", change the date and time to when it was sent, and then copy and paste the email.  I know this workaround isn't feasible for a large number of emails, but it might work for you if there is a reasonable number.  

I hope this helps!

Brett

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
Valleriia
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE
51 Replies 51
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @NBraden, At the moment, with the import that you're doing, are you doing just a standard contact import with email activity?

If so, this indeed would be the best process to recommend! I want to share a similar Community post here

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
jamesrobert15

SOLVE

Converting Gmail emails to Word documents can be quite useful, especially when you need to save important email correspondence. A manual solution for this task involves opening each email, copying the content, and pasting it into a Word document. However, this method is time-consuming, lacks formatting preservation, and doesn't handle attachments well.

The major drawback of the manual method is that it's not efficient for large quantities of emails, and it can lead to errors or missing information during the copy-paste process. To streamline this process and overcome these limitations, I recommend using the "Gmail Backup Tool." It automates the conversion process, retains formatting, and ensures that attachments are properly saved, making it a much more efficient and reliable solution for this task.

0 Upvotes
jamesrobert15

SOLVE

Are you trying to set up a new Gmail account? And Continuously getting errors, While the setup. One I want to tell you have you have to backup your emails and other data if this error is still the same this can lead to damage to your important data. To Backup your emails and other data you can use the Cigati Gmail Backup tool, this will create a backup of your whole data and store it on your local computer. It can also Export Emails from Gmail to Text, which can be easily get accessed offline.

0 Upvotes
Valleriia
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

I was able to import .xlsx file with email history. 

Hope this will be helpful. Capture.PNG

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-activities#:~:text=meeting%20type%20settings.-,Emails...

NBraden
Participant

SOLVE

Hi there! How did you get an excel with your gmail email history? When I export my emails Google puts it in a MBOX file format.

0 Upvotes
MissFleck

SOLVE

Hi @Valleriia I also took these steps and am getting an mbox file that I cannot open or upload.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @MissFleck, do you mind providing more information about it? Since this thread is from 2017 I want to make sure we have the most updated information. 

The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

0 Upvotes
ZEstey
Participant | Gold Partner
Participant | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hey there! I'm trying to import as an excel file and keep getting stuck - any chance you'd be willing to meet with me for a few minutes on Monday to walk me through how you did it? If it's more complicated than a normal import then they'll hire an intern to forward bcc emails instead since its out of our scope. Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
Valleriia
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey there, 

Can you share a Sample of the excel file you trying to import? 

Meantime: this was my way of doing it. 

1. Start Import
  2. File from Computer
  3. One File
  4. Multiple Objects
  5. Contacts + Emails
  6. Select/Attach a file

Mapping columns in your File to HubSpot properties:

Column Header from FilePreview InformationImport ASHubSpot Property
Activity Date Email PropertiesActivity Date
Email Body Email PropertiesEmail Body
Email Contact PropertiesEmail
Email Direction  Email PropertiesEmail Direction

ChrisEriksson
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi! 

Do you know if it is possible to export specific email-conversations from gmail to a csv/xlsv? Or how do you arrange the import file? Otherwise it takes more time to fix the import file than it takes to log the emails manually 1 by 1 in hubspot?  Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Valleriia
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Chris,

I'm not aware if you can export specific email conversations from Gmail. You can download all your email data from Gmail and filter it. Or if you need to export a few emails, you can manually create an Excel file for HubSpot Import.  

Activity DateEmail bodyEmailEmail Direction
DateBody of emailaddressIncoming/outgoing

Hope you find this helpful!

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Valleriia hope you are doing well!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

0 Upvotes
OlivierBeaujean
Participant

SOLVE

anyone tried Threads ? I'm considering doing this... 

0 Upvotes
JSoffer
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE
Threads does not automatically create contacts in HubSpot and will only import emails where the contact already exists in HubSpot. 
0 Upvotes
Apothecary
Participant

SOLVE
@Colas just sent you a private message. Happy to help
0 Upvotes
Colas
Participant

SOLVE

@Apothecary Hi Apothecary, how can I get in touch with you, I'm trying to import a bunch of labelled emails but have a few questions first. thanks ! 

0 Upvotes
OmairH
Contributor

SOLVE

It's a pity that since 2017, HS has not been able to provide for a solution that's an integral part of their competition. It doesn't makes sense that you are not able to see email history of contacts sent before migration to HS.

It seems HS is more targetted towards new businesses that have just started sales instead of established businesses. I don't know which establish business would be willing to migrate to HS if they cannot see their contact's email history dated before their HS joining date.

Apothecary
Participant

SOLVE

Here's a solution

We managed to import all previous gmail emails using integromat. Here's the work flow: 

1. Export your contacts by segments, stages etc. Whatever works best for you. 
  2. Use integromat to search and label the emails. Scenario 1:
    • Search format {from:Johndoe@etc.com from: emailb@hotmail.com from: etc@etc.com } has:nouserlabels
    • (You can make that format easily in a spreadsheet)
    • It's best to do this is batches of max 400 emails. I had issues with 900 emails, not sure what the maximum is. 
    • I found labelling them like this a way to keep things sane and to easily check on the progress. Also, it allowed us to clean things up a bit and only import emails relevant to the contacts we want, rather than importing absoultely everything. 
    • Module 1: https://forestnation.d.pr/3884Mk
    • Module 2: https://forestnation.d.pr/zTC9fA 
  3. Use integromat to import all emails in a specific label to hubspot as timeline events. Scenario 2:
  4. Repeat this process to get the to: emails.
    • {to:Johndoe@etc.com to: emailb@hotmail.com to: etc@etc.com } has:nouserlabels

I am sure this process could be optimised even more. But it has worked for us and I hope it helps someone else out. 

* We have just migrated to hubspot this week, still in the process and looking forward growing our business on the platform. This is also our first post in the community. 

* If we can do this, hubspot could easily create a plug and play solution. I am sure they would win even more business with it 🙂 

blimstash
Participant

SOLVE

I do not understand this. A lead comes in as an email. We add the person to HS. We create a deal. The original email NEEDS to be in that deal. If everything is so manual why don't I just use a spreadsheet ?

How is this usable at all?

LeslieBarry

SOLVE

This is the best solution I found for Gmail to Hubspot forwarding of old emails. Affordable and does the job for my once-off migration: multi-email-forward dot com

I'm a customer, no relation to the company and have used CloudHQ service before and they just work.

And you can always cancel after the first month once you've done the initial run 😉

0 Upvotes