Gmail Sales Extension

davidculton
Participante

How do things get tagged Needs Action or Needs Followup?

resolver

I'm new to Hubspot CRM and must admit that so far I'm finding it one of the most user-unfriendly pieces of software I've used in a long time. I want to identify and track a subset of my contacts that I'm focusing on for business development. I love the gmail extension but find that the filter choices are limited, and I'm not sure how something makes it to the list. For example, I have perhaps hundreds of contacts that appear when I filter by "Needs Followup". Why are they on that list? I have only 3 that appear when I filter by "Needs Action" Why are they on that list and how can I add someone or change that status? 

If anyone knows the answers to these

1) How to effectively filter to a focused list for bd in the gmail extension?

2) How to add, remove or change the Needs Action or Needs Followup status

3) Where can I find some kind of a users guide? (searching the help center just took me down a time sucking rat hole)

Thanks in advance

0 Me gusta
1 Soluciones aceptada
kcooper
Solución
Colaborador líder

resolver

Your question, while long, actually has a pretty straightforward answer. 

When you see "Needs action" or "Needs follow-up" in your gmail extention, what you are actually looking at are Contact filter views from within HubSpot. Both that you mentioned in your post are HubSpot default-created filter views. To see why contacts are being pulled into those views, look at the filters in the view in HubSpot.

Needs next action filter view with filtersNeeds next action filter view with filtersHubSpot Contact Filter ViewsHubSpot Contact Filter ViewsIn the Gmail ExtensionIn the Gmail Extension

So...if you want to make a focused bd list for yourself that you will be able to access from your gmail extension...all you have to do is build yourself a Contact Filter View from within HubSpot. You will then be able to access that filter view from the dropdown in the gmail extension. 

Say, for example, you wanted to target Contacts who have the job title CIO. You would make a filter view in HubSpot where you filter for Job Title contains exactly "CIO" OR "Chief Information Officer" ... you can use the OR operator to expand your filtering ... You would then name this filter view CIO Prospecting (or whatever works for you), and then in your Gmail Extension instead of selecting Needs action or Needs follow-up you would select CIO Prospecting - and BAM! Your focused list is accessible from gmail. 

Knowledge article on creating saved filters

Knowledge article on the HubSpot Sales Chrome Extension - it talks about using saved filter views (w...

Let me know if I misunderstood - otherwise please mark this as a solution so it can help others in the future 🙂

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 Respuestas 2
kcooper
Solución
Colaborador líder

resolver

Your question, while long, actually has a pretty straightforward answer. 

When you see "Needs action" or "Needs follow-up" in your gmail extention, what you are actually looking at are Contact filter views from within HubSpot. Both that you mentioned in your post are HubSpot default-created filter views. To see why contacts are being pulled into those views, look at the filters in the view in HubSpot.

Needs next action filter view with filtersNeeds next action filter view with filtersHubSpot Contact Filter ViewsHubSpot Contact Filter ViewsIn the Gmail ExtensionIn the Gmail Extension

So...if you want to make a focused bd list for yourself that you will be able to access from your gmail extension...all you have to do is build yourself a Contact Filter View from within HubSpot. You will then be able to access that filter view from the dropdown in the gmail extension. 

Say, for example, you wanted to target Contacts who have the job title CIO. You would make a filter view in HubSpot where you filter for Job Title contains exactly "CIO" OR "Chief Information Officer" ... you can use the OR operator to expand your filtering ... You would then name this filter view CIO Prospecting (or whatever works for you), and then in your Gmail Extension instead of selecting Needs action or Needs follow-up you would select CIO Prospecting - and BAM! Your focused list is accessible from gmail. 

Knowledge article on creating saved filters

Knowledge article on the HubSpot Sales Chrome Extension - it talks about using saved filter views (w...

Let me know if I misunderstood - otherwise please mark this as a solution so it can help others in the future 🙂

davidculton
Participante

resolver

Thanks...took some doing -- first, there was no save button when creating a filter, just update, then after I saved the filter (it was a subset of Open contacts) the extension displayed the inverse (only contacts that I HADN"T selected, and finally without knowing exactly how or why, I was able to save a new filter, refresh the browser window in gmail to access the correctly named list and finally see the correct people. 

All of this is to say that I find this CRM to be extremely opaque and non-intuitive.  I've spent several hours so far trying to get it to a point of even basic usability. But then again, what do you want for free?

If you happen to know a more intuitive, <$30/month CRM solution that interfaces with gmail, I'd love to check it out.

That said, I do appreciate your response.

0 Me gusta