Gmail Sales Extension

Bryce
Top Contributor

How do I exclude some email addresses from being tracked?

SOLVE

I want to remove the tracking of certain email addresses. Is there a way to "blacklist" some email addresses?

Mainly I don't want other team members to be able to see the emails and still being able to get notified if the email has been opened would be nice but not an absolute necessity if this is not possible.

1 Accepted solution
smarketingiq
Solution

SOLVE
22 Replies 22
universalbryan

SOLVE

If you're an admin... You can do this:

You can check by going to:

Hubspot --> Settings --> Sales --> Log Emails in CRM

Under "Never Log" there is a list of blocked domains.

Enter your domains like this: 

*@domainname.com

Bryce
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @universalbryan  but that is for logging and @jameshahnii is talking about tracking I think.

0 Upvotes
jameshahnii
Participant

SOLVE

Darn. Yes, you're right @Bryce. I'm looking for a default track ignore.

Come on HubSpot!

James

0 Upvotes
smarketingiq
Solution

SOLVE
Bryce
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @smarketingiq this has been around for a while but maybe it has just come out of beta or they just got around to writing about it. By coincidence I was updating it just the other day.

Now our activity feed can have just emails to/from clients! 🙂

Now, if only Hubspot could do a bunch of other things! 😉

0 Upvotes
jameshahnii
Participant

SOLVE

Praise His Holy Name!

0 Upvotes
Bryce
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @jameshahnii  I think this just fixes logging but your issue is with tracking as you forward your email to Evernote?

Do you get multiple read-receipt notifications from emails sent to Evernote or something?

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Bryce  At this time, it is not possible to blacklist specific email addresses. The HubSpot CRM is designed to track 1:1 conversations between you and your sales prospects. As such, all engagements (emails, phone calls, meetings) will be available for viewing on the contact timeline, viewable by all who can access the contact. All marketing data (pages viewed, marketing emails opened/clicked) can be seen also.  You can restrict viewership of contacts to owners or to specific teams, but otherwise, all contact information is available to all users, at all times.

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Bryce
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Ed

That's one for the suggestion box then! 🙂

I want to be able to see what my staff are saying to my clients and I'm ok for my team to see what I'm saying to clients too (when I do sales) but I don't want internal emails to be logged (internal includes emails to people who might be on other domains).

So, options to not track emails that are to/from contacts that are not sales contacts (e.g. colleagues incl those on different domains) are:

1. de-select Log (and Track) each time I send or reply to an email thread to/from them (and re-select if required for the next email)?
  2. delete the contact and the company (and delete again when they inevitably end up back in the CRM next time we correspond) so that only the basic info about the email is displayed and aren't able to be clicked through to?
  3. de-select "Opt out of email" for a contact - I expect this is designed for use when a contact opts-out of marketing emails but might also accomplish what I want?
  4. use a different email address when corresponding with clients about sales and then opt-out (#4 above) my email used for internal comms?

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Bryce  Just to be clear, messages sent from your email client to internal contacts (employees) with the same domain that is connected to the portal, will not log in the CRM. Internal emails to employees with different domains will log on the contact record. 

Regarding your list of options to not track emails, see below: 

1. Correct. This will be your best bet moving forward.

2.  A bit confused about what you mean here. As stated earlier the CRM is designed fro 1:1 communications with your sales prospects. Any other communications should be limited/tracked to your email client. 

3. The Opt-out-of-email flag is for marketing emails sent from the HubSpot marketing email interface only. Since CRM emails are technically sent from your ESP, this option has no effect on emails sent from the CRM. 

4. It's not possible to opt out your email for internal communications, as the CRM does not recognize internal addresses from external addresses.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. 

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
mikeraia
Participant

SOLVE

I just asked Support the same question as Bryce. I don't want to track anyone who's not in Hubspot (personal emails, vendor emails) as well as internal emails so I've been having to manually uncheck the options each time. If the extension can see if someone is in Hubspot or not, why can't we simply track anyone who's in Hubspot already and manually add anyone who isn't? It seems a bit backward as-is.

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @mikeraia and @Bryce Great news! The Sales extension (both versions) now support email address blacklists. Find out how to add email addresses to the Sales Extension blacklist here

Thank you,

Ed Justen

jessicacox1

SOLVE

Hi Ed, 

I do not see instructions on blacklisting in the link you provided. This is a pain point for me. Even my expensify emails are being logged to Hubspot.

Can you please post the instructions in this thread?

Many thanks,
Jessica

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @jessicacox1  The blacklisting instructions are located here: 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/hubspot-sales-chrome-extension-user-guide/customize-your-hubspot-sales...  

Scroll down to Extensions Settings.

To summarize: 

1 Click the HubSpot Sproket on the chrome browser

2 Click Extension Settings

3 Add individual addresses or domains to the Never Add module. 

I hope this helps. Man Happy

Ed Justen

0 Upvotes
jameshahnii
Participant

SOLVE

I love HubSpot CRM. It's been with us since the beginning and we recommend it to all of our customers. However, I have to find solution for this problem and I've ignored it for as long as I can.

I forward everything from Gmail into my Evernote GTD workflow. However, there is no way to turn off tracking for this email. As you can see, I have the email properly blacklisted but blacklisting does not turn off tracking. I've tried everything and as far as I can tell, there is no way around this short of remembering to open the extension and mute every task I forward to Evernote.

I can't live like this anymore.

Please help!

hubspot-support.gif

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @jameshahnii,

The blacklist settings will only prevent the emails from logging to HubSpot, but won't turn off the tracking. If you don't want to receive the tracking notifications for the email, you will need to uncheck the "track" box before sending.

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
jameshahnii
Participant

SOLVE

I know that. There needs to be a way to save the setting. It's silly there is no way around it. I forward dozens of emails/tasks into Evernote daily and having to unclick tracking each time time slowly erodes my productivity.

0 Upvotes
emily911
Participant

SOLVE

If I use this, the conversations inbox still adds everyone as new contacts. Including internal emails. 

0 Upvotes
jessicacox1

SOLVE

Yes! Extremely helpful. Thank you @edjusten.

0 Upvotes
Bryce
Top Contributor

SOLVE

HI @edjusten

I just got this pop-up in Hubspot Chrome extension:

Remember your log & track preferences?
BETA
Each time you compose a new email, your log and track options will be set to the preferences you select below.

Is this to remember a preference for a particular email address or just in general?

If the former then it would be great if it said that and would be an answer to the issue. If the latter then I don't see the point as it does this already (which makes my original option 1 a PITA and prone to error.)

Thanks,
Bryce
0 Upvotes