HIPPA compliance with CRMs

SOLVE
Snohomish

Hello,

I am a health provider and have some concerns about sharing my emails with Hubspot CRM.  How can I ensure that Hubspot CRM is HIPPA compliant?  I need to be able to protect my patient's health information including their emails and other demographic information.  Also, often I will receive sensitive health information from my patients and I cannot afford a lawsuit if your company fails to protect my patient's privacy for any reason.  What assurance can you provide that you will be held just as liable as I am for any breaches of security?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Snohomish  At this time, HubSpot is not HIPPA compliant. Hubspot's terms of service forbids the storage or processing of sensitive health or financial information. You can find HubSpot's terms-of-service here.

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
Snohomish
0 Upvotes
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Snohomish  At this time, HubSpot is not HIPPA compliant. Hubspot's terms of service forbids the storage or processing of sensitive health or financial information. You can find HubSpot's terms-of-service here.

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

BuzzMelissa
Participant

Hi there, 

Is this still accurate? Ie, is Hubspot still not HIPAA-compliant?

MC

0 Upvotes
bendonahower
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Yes, this is still accurate.

jhayes

HubSpot REALLY needs to get the system HIPPA compliant.  We are not able to really use the system as much because of this major limitation.  There are other cloud based CRMS out there that are HIPPA compliant, but they are not as good...please pass up the line to get into the development queue. 

zubair
Participant

were you planning to use it for patient case updates?

did you find an alternative?

darynsmith
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Huble Digital has built HIPAA compliant CRM extensions in HubSpot for several clients. 

A CRM Extension is shown in the right hand side margin of a Contact/Company/Deal record and looks like it is part of HubSpot, but it is actually an external system.

We build these on a single tenancy HIPAA compliant hosting environment, and lock them down to a IP range. 

Most of the information cannot be used in lists as it then can be identifiable - but we work with customers to identity what can be put into lists without breaking PII rules.

Reach out to me here for more info: https://www.hubledigital.com/meetings/daryn-smith

Daryn Smith
Chief Strategy Officer
Huble Digital
0 Upvotes
jhayes

I appreciate the information, but until HubSpot itself is HIPPA compliant the system is not usable for the full needs of our company.  We are still required to maintain two systems.  So we we keep looking to find one that can meet our needs.  This also begs the question of what elements of the system are preventing HubSpot from being HIPPA compliant.  Are areas of the system or our data not private to our company only.  

0 Upvotes
darynsmith

Hi @jhayes 

In order for HubSpot to become HIPAA compliant - they would need to offer a single tenancy solution (so either premise based or on speciality infrastructure like that offered by oRock).

This would be a signifcant deviation to how the HubSpot platform works. 

Then the security on the data needs to be further locked down, for example you would not be able to create a list on every contact that has received a treatment in last 30 days.

The way we have worked around this - we have been creating CRM extensions hosted on oRock. Locking down access to fields, locking down access using IP ranges. 

This way you can see patient information from within HubSpot, but it is not stored on the HubSpot infrastructure.

Daryn Smith
Chief Strategy Officer
Huble Digital
krs360
Participant

Hello @darynsmith.

Just wondering how you're getting around the sensitive information issue that some of us are facing. I wish it was a little more obvious that this popular CRM solution lacks the compliance with HIPPA.

When I called sales re taking up Hubspot services, I explained my use case (Recruitment) and on-boarding into the business to be told it's fine. Now I need to collect data on criminal convitions/bank details for payment it's not fine.

Be keen to listen to your suggestions.

0 Upvotes
darynsmith

HI @krs360 

I thought it would be easiest to explain by video, so I made this quick 3 minute video explaining how we would achieve HIPAA compliance with HubSpot: 

https://share.vidyard.com/watch/JPBXYqPs1kLW9VGPDbj1nf?

Daryn Smith
Chief Strategy Officer
Huble Digital
HarvestROI
Contributor | Platinum Partner

@darynsmith Can we give our clients a BAA certificate with this solution?

0 Upvotes
ekpierce
Contributor | Gold Partner

Hi @darynsmith,

Can you please share the name of the HIPAA compliant integration that costs $1,500/mos per your video?

Thank you!

Erica

0 Upvotes