Google Chrome Extension Broke Itself

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure what happened in the latest extension update or Google Chrome update, but Hubspot Sales extension hasn't been working for me for several weeks now. I've just been hoping that it would fix itself since it broke during an update on its own, but it's never happened.

Now, when I click the extension, it just gives me a sad face with the following error: "app.hubspot.com refused to connect."

Does anyone know what may have changed recently that could have contributed to this no longer working? I've gone through the troubleshooting link and have tried all of its suggestions, and nothing works. I've disabled every other Google Chrome extension as well, and still nothing. I've tried to reinstall the extension with no success.

In Gmail, the following error comes up when I click on the Hubspot icon within Gmail: "

Sorry. It looks like your browser settings are blocking HubSpot Sales.

To learn how to change your browser settings, please read this article. Then, come back here and reload Gmail."

Another thing that I noticed on the troubleshooting site is that it says: "

It is not highly recommended to update Chrome to the latest version . "

Is that a typo? It's not recommended to update to the latest Google Chrome version?

I can also confirm that I can access app.hubspot.com:

[atticus:kali:~]$ telnet app.hubspot.com 443
Trying 2606:4700::6810:fb05...
Connected to app.hubspot.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[atticus:kali:~]$ ping app.hubspot.com
PING app.hubspot.com (104.16.252.5): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 104.16.252.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=42.815 ms
^C
--- app.hubspot.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

I have even reset Google Chrome back to its factory settings, and the extension still doesn't work.
25 Replies 25
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @altjx,

Thank you for all of the information! 

I am seeing that "It's highly recommended to update Chrome to the latest version." is the text in the article you referenced. Are you seeing something different? 

Do you mind sending along screenshots of the errors you are seeing?

Additionally, are you able to access the extension in an incognito window? Additionally, can you access it on different internet connections? 

If you can send along screenshots that would be great! Additionally are any other users in your portal experiencing this issue?

Thank you,
Jenny

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

They literally just updated that text. I swear. I copied and pasted the original text from that page a few days ago. It's updated to reflect the correct thing now. I was able to get his working in non-incognito version. Afraid to do anything like logging out or restarting my browser because it may break again, lol. Thanks for your help.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @altjx,

🙂 I am glad the text is updated! Thank you for flagging it as well, if it did say that, we would want it changed! 

If you have any further issues, please let us know! 

Thanks,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, got the same message. I went through all the suggestions on the troubleshooting webpage. I have the most updated Chrome ( Version 79.0.3945.16 ). Any other suggestions?

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.48.06 AM.png

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

I also have this same issue. My Google Chrome updated yesterday and ever since, it hasn't worked.

How do we fix this issue?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @creativefold and @CBinJP

Can you please send along screenshots of your Chrome settings confirming you are not blocking third party cookies? 

Thank you, 

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 10.21.49 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-05 at 10.24.51 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-05 at 10.25.02 am.png

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 8.32.15 PM.png

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you @CBinJP and @creativefold,

I appreciate you sending the screenshots along! 

Do you mind confirming the issue persists when all other extensions are disabled within your browser? 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I can honestly say that I really did do every single thing on the troubleshooting webpage that the error message sent me to - multiple times. That's why I'm looking for suggestions that aren't on this list:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/troubleshooting-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension#acce...

My other computer didn't upgrade Chrome to v79 and is using v78 and Hubspot is still working fine on it. The settings for that computer and this one are exactly the same. I don't know how to go back to v78 of Chrome or else I would to see if that fixes it. I'm definitely not going to change my version on my other computer becasue that's the only one able to use tracking at this time.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

I have again disabled all my extensions in Chrome, removed Hubspot Extension, reinstalled it and still same issue!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

I also have the same problem (with Chrome Browser). The suggested steps in the HubSpot helpcenter did not help.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Visitor

I also have this same issue Smiley Sad.

• Google Chrome updated 

• Extrension deleted and re-installed

We have some fix?

Thankyou for your support!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same issue here. 

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same problem here as well.

Confirming that:

• 3rd party cookies are not blocked
• Extensions removed and problem persists
• HubSpot extension removed and reinstalled (problem still persists)
• Cache and cookies cleared - timeframe = all time (problem still persists)
• Chrome removed and reinstalled (problem still persists)

Any updates on how to get back to normal functionality?

P.S. FWIW

As a manual workaround, I have created my HS bcc address as a contact  and then created "bcc" as a label and added the bcc address to that label. This helps with quick entry to bcc and to get info into the CRM, but I'd love to be able to get back to business with the HS functionality that is intended.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience! I have been partnering with the team internally to get best next steps. 

Can you all please complete these steps and direct message me the file: 

1. Open a new tab and go to chrome://net-export/
2. Select the Include cookies and credentials option
3. Click the Start Logging To Disk button.
4. Reproduce the problem in a different tab (the chrome://net-export/ window needs to stay open or logging will stop.)
5. Click Stop Logging button.
6. Please send me the resulting log file through a direct message.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Having the same issue on Chrome build 79.0.3945.16. Disabled all extensions with no success.  Tried the logging but after pressing "Start Loggin to Disk", not seeing any option to Stop Logging.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Went through steps. Tried to copy paste logs into a DM and my tab instance freezes.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

I've tried to send you the log file but It isn't allowing me to as its a bit file.

Anyhow, I right-clicked on the extension and looked up the console - I found these few errors which might be helpful?

8A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at <URL> was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at <URL> and <URL>.
popup.js:1 You should not redefine a module with hubspot.define, 'hubspot.PortalIdParser' has already been defined once.
hubspot.defineHelper @ popup.js:1
app.hubspot.com/api-passthrough/activity-feed/v2/search/bundled/early?portalId=2910917&clienttimeout=12000:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 ()
api.hubspot.com/login-verify/hub-user-info?early=true&portalId=2910917&clienttimeout=2000:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 ()
api.hubspot.com/login-verify/hub-user-info?portalId=2910917:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 ()
api.hubspot.com/users/v1/app/attributes/bulk-get?portalId=2910917&clienttimeout=14000:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 ()
popup.html:1 Refused to display 'https://app.hubspot.com/login/?loginRedirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.hubspot.com%2Factivity-feed-embedd...' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.
app.hubspot.com/:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 ()

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

This seems to be the main issue...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4522904/potential-disruption-to-microsoft-services-in-chrom...

I dont understand that Hubspot is no able to escalate and communicate to customers this thing when there are hundreds of open tickets for it...

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience! I have heard back from the team, and while they are actively working on updating the app to work with the following setting enabled, these are steps for an immediate solution.

Go to chrome://flags and set the "SameSite by default cookies" experiment to "Disabled".

Thank you,

Jenny

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

This has fixed my issue! 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This workaround works! Will you remind us to reset to the original settings once the issue has been fixed? TY!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

That worked! Thank you

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!

Your advise was very helpful/

Tnx, Edna

0 Upvotes