Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Gmail emails becoming contacts

Occasional Contributor

My Gmail emails are becoming contacts in HubSpot, I need to fix this problem asap.

17 Replies 17
Community Manager

Hi @atulsharmacse,

For an overview of the Gmail extension, I wanted to share this resource, which walks through how the extension works and how you can change it so that emails do not log, or become associated with contacts.

If you are experiencing an issue where you are sending emails and not logging them, and they are still being created as contacts in your portal, can you please send specific examples and screenshots? 

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Occasional Contributor

My Gmail all promotional and other non-sales emails are becoming contacts, please help me.

errr.PNG

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

To add to this:

Whenever I send an email using Gmail, while logged into my Gmail account (Not in Hubspot), Hubspot is creating a contact for me. 

How do I turn this off? I don't have the HubSpot Gmail Chrome extension. I do have this account added as an integration but cannot find the setting to stop HubSpot from creating a contact for every email.

I've searched through posts but can't find the answer to this. I'm sure it's out there. Can someone link it for me? Thanks in advance for you help.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Yes same issue with us 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Guyfromjersey and @atulsharmacse,

If your inboxes are connected using the conversations tool, the functionality of having incoming emails create contacts is the expected behavior. For more information on the tool, I wanted to share this resource. While you can modify which emails create contacts, if you do not want incoming emails to be the default functionality, then using the conversations inbox may not be the solution for you.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response Jenny. I would like to turrn off the expected behavior of the "Conversations > Inbox" to stop creating a new contact record with each email. It renders the CRM functionality useless for me.

I've read through your suggested resource and can't find anything indicating this is an option.

Is it possible to turn off the automatic creating of contacts and still have an email connected to HubSpot? 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Guyfromjersey,

You can filter some contact creation using the information in this article. The functionality of the tool in general is to have automatic contact creation, though. 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Okay. Just be clear, the answer is no, there's no way to turn off the automatic creation of contacts?

If I want that functionality (auto creation) to stop, I will need to disconnect my email from Hubspot and manullay log email interactions?

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Guyfromjersey,

Correct, there is no way to completely disable the creation of contacts through incoming emails within the conversations tool.

Thank you,
Jenny

Top Contributor

Hi @Guyfromjersey 

If you want to automatically log your emails but do not want HubSpot to auto-create new contacts then our integration can help. You might also find this article useful.

Good luck! 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, this is a perfect solution for what I need and addresses exactly what I need done. However, the price point is way outside my budget for this at the moment. I'll will circle back to this when I have the funds or can't stand manually updating everything, whichever comes first. 

0 Upvotes
Top Advisor

@atulsharmacse I leave mine in and given then a lead status of unqualified and then on downtime, I review and delete what I want of simply set up a filtered list of active contacts. 

I used to want to delete everything that was wrong.  I believe is was HubSpot Support that shed light on this may not be the best practice.  Over the years I am perfecting the contact solution for those I do not want to see regularly and it varies with each HubId I am in.

@MFrankJohnson Just curios Frank, how do you handle these non-sales emails?

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

hubspot-log-gmail-gif.gifHubSpot Chrome Extension: Uncheck Log to CRM

Note: There is no such option for the Conversations Tool.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

Top Advisor

As always, thank you very much @MFrankJohnson for your expertise.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I wonder if adjusting this setting in gmail will stop the auto contact creation in Hubspot? 

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 12.01.36 PM.png

0 Upvotes
Top Advisor

@Guyfromjersey I do not believe so. Have you tried blacklisting in HubSpot settings?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I have not. Has anyone found a solution to this yet anywhere else? I'm not seeing anything.

If not, I'll attempt blacklisting. 

0 Upvotes