Gmail: Message not delivered to hubspot bcc

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi -

I received an error message in Gmail stating that my email was not delivered to the hubspot bcc because it was too big. (???)

"The response from the remote server was:

552 5.3.4 Error: Message file too big R6D4Mw8TVW2nT-jY3cS2dT0 - hssmtp"

My Question: The email does appear in the CRM in the "Activity" for this contact. Will the CRM track opens or not?

PS - Not sure if this is relevant, but I just accepted the new Gmail makeover, which required that I log back into Hubspot 2x. (???) In the email, I included two small PNGs - but I've sent countless emails with more, larger images -- not sure why all of a sudden my email was "too big" to send. (???)

Thanks in advance for any feedback Smiley Happy  Hoping for an answer so I can send more emails knowing that they will be tracked. (And if not, how to fix the problem.)

12 Replies 12
Community Manager

Hi @Jill_B,

I found this article which discusses this specific error message as well as how to resolve it going forward. 

This article helped explain the situation as well.

The error messages that are generated should not be caused by HubSpot or the tracking code, as all HubSpot is doing is putting the 1x1 tracking pixel on the email and logging it in the CRM if you choose. The email is still being sent through your servers. 

I hope that helps get you started; if you do notice a trend of this error message just when logging/tracking to HubSpot, please let me know.

Thank you

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Where do you apply the "solutions" in that first link? I don't see any of those settings anywhere in g-suite, namescheap, or hubspot

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @saulsanchez9,

Your IT team or email provider would be the best resource for discussing how to implement that solution. 

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I talked to the gmail support team and they said that it has nothing to do with any error message on their end. There is no way to increase the size limit of attachments as per gmail team.

(and this shouldn't have to be the case anyway as the attachment is already very small) 

there must be another solution you can look into? 

I tried reinstalling the extension a couple times and nothing... 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @saulsanchez9,

I would recommend disconnecting and reconnecting your inbox as a starting point. You can also try connecting a different email address to see if the issue continues. 

Is the issue occuring for all emails that are being sent out? Additionally, are other users in your portal experiencing this issue? 

Thank you,
Jenny

Occasional Contributor

Hi, Jenny -

Thanks for your suggestion -- I don't know if it was that I logged out and then logged back in or that I disconnected and reconnected the account, as I did both -- but I only had that one error message -- it hasn't happened since.

My question remains, however. I don't know if the opens/clicks of that email will be tracked in the CRM. I did notice that more than a month after I sent the email that it was opened today. So I'm not sure if the intended recipient actually just opened the email or if that was the CRM updating???

Don't know if you saw my reply to @ADVPMike - the message I sent did not have any large attachments. It did have a few images inline, but no more than I always send in my emails, which are tracked correctly.

Thanks,

Jill 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same issue. The Hubspot team is confused as where the issue lies. It's on hubspots end with their mail servers. This error is similar to what I received below

552 5.3.4 Error: Message file too big R6F1X6sNvW2Dw53D8fjwLz0 - hssmtp

It's stating that you're sending an attached file(s) that are too large for hubspot's mail servers to take in when you BCC them in the email from the Gmail extension. When I send attachments within the limit size it sends normally, the email is logged but there is no attachment in the logged email. When over the limit, apparently, the Hubspot mail server responds saying the file is too big.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@ADVPMike - My issue appears to have been a glitch, as I wasn't sending any attachments. There were a few images embedded in the body of the email, but no more than I regularly send.

I forget if I simply logged out and logged back in (as the community manager recommended) or if I disconnected and then reconnected my hubspot account to gmail, but I haven't had the issue going forward.

Best,

Jill Smiley Happy

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

For me, the problem was that the file was actually too big. My graphic designer increased the resolution of a document that was only about 4 pages but that made it really large, which surprised me. So I compressed the file and was able to send it with a little loss of resolution but then I just started sending the original with Google Drive and that works perfectly. 

Occasional Contributor

ADVPMike - 

My issue appears to have been a glitch, as I wasn't sending any attachments. There were a few images embedded in the body of the email, but no more than I regularly send.

I forget if I simply logged out and logged back in (as the community manager, Jenny, recommended) or if I disconnected and then reconnected my hubspot account to gmail, but I haven't had the issue going forward.

Best,

Jill Smiley Happy

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I just encountered the same issue. 8 attachments with a combined total of 14.86MB and a max file size of 3.1MB.

My question is now, will this email be tracked (this particular email it is quite important that it is) or am I on my own?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Indieweb -

So sorry to hear! My experience has been that if they do not show up in the CRM (even if you have selected "log" and "track," those emails never appear in the CRM and are not tracked Smiley Sad

It's very frustrating and happend again last week!

I selected "log" and "track" and the "send" button in gmail turned orange, so I thought those important emails were being tracked, but they never appeared in the CRM.

The CRM was built (presumably) to allow you to track simply by clicking those two little buttons, but I've been let down enough times that I am going to try to do 2 things going forward to each email I want to track:

1) in Gmail (because I have a paid Gmail account), I'm going to select the "track this email" option

2) I'm going to manually add the XXXXXX@bbc.hubspot.com in the BBC field

It stinks, but when you have important emails you need to track, what else can you do???

As far as what you can do now -- if you really think the recipient didn't read the initial email, send the same email with a new subject line??? If you think they received & read it, simply follow up and state that you're following up on the email you recently sent. OR you could make a few minor changes to either the attachments or the email itself and send a new email stating you are sending the email as the information has changed slightly???

Also, something tells me that sending 8 attachments might be problematic ... thinking your emails have a better chance of going through with fewer attachments - at least until you have a good enough relationship that you can simply ask if the email was received.

Please let me know if you email ever does show up in your CRM - fingers crossed!

Best,

Jill

0 Upvotes