Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Gmail Extension Showing Wrong Company for Contacts

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hello,

There appears to be a bug with the Gmail Extension where it will always show the Company that matches the Contact's email domain, regardless of who they are associated with in HubSpot.

This occurs when you automatically create a contact via the extension and when you create a contact by emailing them and BCC'ing them. And then, even if I create the contact manually in HubSpot associated with the correct company to try to circumvent this, it will still show the parent company in the extension. 

This is frustrating because if I want to call a Contact really quickly and haven't manually updated their phone number in HubSpot, I still have to go into the actual desktop version to see the correct associated number. It also isn't an accurate reflection of what company they're with; most of my clients are in real estate, so there will be 27 properties under 1 corporate office and every single contact will just show under the corporate office. 

Furthermore, when there is an issue with the domain name matching a different company (not sure how this happens, but it does!) and pulling the wrong company in (happens consistently with one corporate office in particular), it will then show the contact as being with a company that's completely unrelated. :/ 

This is happening with everyone in our company, and lessens the usefulness of the extension by a lot. 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @StephanyWHP  At this time, there is not a way to disassociate the contact from the company that matches the email domain, other that turning off company/contact association in the settings. 

Being completley transparent here, this is a case where the tool could certainly use improvement. It works great in a case where the contact and company domains match, but not so great when working with contacts that may work for a smaller branch or element of a larger company (we see this often with banking/branch customers also). 

Can you add this as a post to our ideas forum for further comment?

Thank you.

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hey Ed-

I can add it as yet another idea to the community forums, but the tool used to do what I'm asking about just fine and recently changed to not do it all. 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "there is not a way to disassociate the contact from the company that matches the email domain" as you can definitely do that within HubSpot via Actions > Remove Associated Company. Within the CRM, all of my Contacts are matched up to the correct Company and since the extension theoretically should mirror the CRM, I'm confused as to why it refuses to update there (and only there).

See below for the same contact in the Extension and then the CRM; the Company is correct in the CRM but wrong in the extension, which means I cannot view or update any of the fields for her actual company without opening the page in the CRM each time. This seems to counteract the point of having this convenient, editable sidebar??

Again, I can definitely add this as an "idea," but it seems like more of a bug needing to be fixed than a feature needing to be implemented. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.05.04 AM.pngHubSpot CRMScreen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.04.35 AM.pngGmail Extension

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @StephanyWHP  My dev team has confirmed that the company properties in the sidebar are generated from HubSpot Insights according to the domain of the email address. Information for the contact property group remains editiable through the sidebar, but company info in the extension is generated from Insights. 

I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. It would be worthwhile to share your feedback through an Ideas forum post. 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes