"Reconsent" Email Question

Occasional Contributor

With GDPR looming, we're planning a reconsent campaign for our existing email list -- sending email to contacts to ask them to subscribe. 

Any advice about whether driving "Yes" subscribers to a landing page where they're able to confirm their email address and complete their double opt-in is allowable? Or do we need to send them email #2?

(I know that double opt-in is only required for Germany, but we're pretty certain this is the way new legislation will go globally.)

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Community Manager

Hey @cherylfalk The GDPR does not require double-opt in (though certain countries may make this mandatory). 

It’s worth noting that subscribers to the HubSpot service may already choose to enable double-opt-in functionality in their portals as an additional protective measure in proving they obtained the required consent.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, @roisinkirby

Unfortunately, Hubspot will not send the double opt-in email if an existing contact is "subscribed based on previous behavior".  With the rules for GDPR, this won't do at all. The regulation requires that we have a date stamped record of consent, so we're planning a permission pass (or "re-consent") campaign to get all of our contacts subscription status documented.  

With the magic of landing pages, workflows and smart lists, I believe we're close to having all of this all figured out. 

I do have a separate conversation going with Hubspot support about forcing a resend of the opt-in email so that we can get the necessary documentation on current subscribers. No resolution on that request yet, but I am hopeful.