GDPR

gemma_sleight
Participant

"Please confirm your subscription"

SOLVE

Hi

I realy hope someone can help. 

We currently use the free marketing HubSpot account (but we are heavily invested in using it more this year and may upgrade). 

At the moment we only use the 'collected forms' which pushes the collected contacts from our website forms which are set-up via WordPress. We don't have lead fows, forms or landing pages set-up. 

We already have WordPress set-up and run how perfectly, it include an opt-in.  

We are exploring how more we can use HubSpot from a leadflow and form perspective, however this is in exploration phase. 

A few weeks ago, I was running some tests using lead flows and forms. 

Since these tests (which I have switched off/deleted) I have noticed that the 'please confirm your subscription' automatically email response goes out to anyone that fills in any form on our website - which are the forms we have set-up in WordPress. 

This was not happening before. Is this because of the testing we were doing? Or is it something that HubSpot have suddenly turned on to hit every contact that comes into HubSpot? 

Can I turn this off? If so, how? - We already have procedures in place for opt-in/out. 

If I can't turned this off, how can I personalise it?

I would really appreciate any help!! 

Gemma

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

@gemma_sleight

Couldn't find anything online about this Gemma. However, I do recall one occasion when HubSpot triggered behavior that could not be modified on lower tiered plans. My GDPR-OCD kicked in, so I confirmed this general trend with HubSpot Support.

During our discussion we reviewed functionality that may be impacting you (still).

- If you ever turned on the new (beta) feature called 'Follow-up' in any of your Lead Flows ... this forces a persistent email subscription confirmation that cannot be edited on free plans. Normally, this behavior would go away if/when the Lead Flow was disabled, but could be a bug [Shouldn't really 'delete' those for a month or so after disabling ... just sayin'! haha]

The above withstanding...

@AndyPitre, would you be so kind as to let us know where the option is to disable forced HubSpot subscription confirmation messages on the Marketing Free plan? (if there is such a thing).

I looked at the 'manage your emal preferences' link in Gemma's email and it's definitely a HubSpot message linking to a HubSpot Email Preferences page, so ...

If the persistent, forced subscription confirmation is compulsory on free plans then the issue here is, "how to turn it off once the Lead Flow is disabled/deleted?". If there's an option to disable subscription confirmation on free plans we can't find it.

Note: Spoke with Awesome Aebhin (in Dublin) - see Ticket number: #1032003

Thanks all ... (tag me if you need anything further)

Best,

Frank

-ps

Nice to meet you Gemma

@aebhinnugent (is that you Abehin?)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: [How to turn off double opt-in] - "Please confirm your subscription"

Short A: Turn off 'Enable double opt-in' under Contact Settings->Email->Subscriptions

- (see image)

hubspot-email-double-opt-in-setting.png

Longer A:

Sounds like the 'Enable double opt-in' setting may have been activated during your tests.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson Sorry I didn't tag you before. See my reply comment. Thanks for your help so far!

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sorry @gemma_sleight, I was smokin crack. The setting I cited is for paid Marketing plans and you clearly said you were using HubSpot Marketing Free. (facepalm)

Maybe look under Settings->Marketing->Email service provider

If you have an ESP connected, the email confirmations might be coming from there.

It would be helpful to see a copy of the subscription confirmation email if that's not the setting. Maybe forward a copy to me at frank at.

Again, sorry. I promise not to inhale next time! LOL

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson

You are extremly more insightful than most I have spoken to, crack or not.

I am afraid this has taken me no further forward. 

I have attached a screenshot of the subcription email and my settings. We have it linked with Campaign Monitor our email campaign provider, but we've already checked and it is most defintely NOT coming from them. It is a HubSpot subscription email. 

I do not understand it and can't possibly think that HubSpot would be forcing us to have it go out. Settings.pngsubscription email.png

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

@gemma_sleight

Couldn't find anything online about this Gemma. However, I do recall one occasion when HubSpot triggered behavior that could not be modified on lower tiered plans. My GDPR-OCD kicked in, so I confirmed this general trend with HubSpot Support.

During our discussion we reviewed functionality that may be impacting you (still).

- If you ever turned on the new (beta) feature called 'Follow-up' in any of your Lead Flows ... this forces a persistent email subscription confirmation that cannot be edited on free plans. Normally, this behavior would go away if/when the Lead Flow was disabled, but could be a bug [Shouldn't really 'delete' those for a month or so after disabling ... just sayin'! haha]

The above withstanding...

@AndyPitre, would you be so kind as to let us know where the option is to disable forced HubSpot subscription confirmation messages on the Marketing Free plan? (if there is such a thing).

I looked at the 'manage your emal preferences' link in Gemma's email and it's definitely a HubSpot message linking to a HubSpot Email Preferences page, so ...

If the persistent, forced subscription confirmation is compulsory on free plans then the issue here is, "how to turn it off once the Lead Flow is disabled/deleted?". If there's an option to disable subscription confirmation on free plans we can't find it.

Note: Spoke with Awesome Aebhin (in Dublin) - see Ticket number: #1032003

Thanks all ... (tag me if you need anything further)

Best,

Frank

-ps

Nice to meet you Gemma

@aebhinnugent (is that you Abehin?)

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson

You're a genuis. I think I have fixed it.

There was a follow-up email set on one of the lead flows, so I have turned this off and tested it and so far, I have run 3 tests, and it isn't coming through with the subscription email anymore. 

So fingers crossed, that has fixed it. 

Gemma

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Wow. Thanks @gemma_sleight. Must be all the pizza-n-beer. IT"S FRIDAY! haha

If this solution works, would you please flag the following comment as a solution so the rest of the community can see this as a resource?

Here's the link to the specific comment shown above that should be flagged (marked date/time: ‎04-20-2018 06:13) - 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Lists-Lead-Scoring-Workflows/quot-Please-confirm-your-subscription-...

Thanks Gemma. Reach out anytime now that you know where I live. 😉

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson - done! 

I am so chuffed to have it resolved. Thank you. 

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

You're quite welcome @gemma_sleight ...

Wanted to also introduce you to @Phil_Vallender here in the HubSpot Community.

Phil is one of the community's top contributors and just happens to run a HubSpot Diamond Agency over in the UK. Always good to know smart people close to home especially considering some of the GDPR issues that may arise.

Again, reach out anytime.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hey @MFrankJohnson and @gemma_sleight

Well done getting to the bottom of this issue. It seems to have quite a few people confused over at Disable Opt-in emails in Lead Flows from free version.

The offical statement a while back, from that thread, was "As it turns out, Double opt-in is enabled automatically on any free portal using lead flow follow up emails. For now, it can't be disabled once created, but we will be adding that option soon. " But it looks like they may have improved upon that already. 

Thanks for the mention Frank. Both, let me know if I can be of any more help.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
TangoForge
Participant

SOLVE

It seems that at the moment (of course things are constantly changing...) the only way for Free Plan folks to turn off the double optin at the moment is to turn off the great feature of "Collect data from website forms".

This is found under Settings > Marketing > Forms.
What it means is that any independent capture flows will have to be manually entered into hubspot.

I have to say with this constraint + the lack of control of the timing of the popup chatbot, hubspot becomes seriously less useful. I think to switch back to Drift for their better free chatbot. (The number of conversations plummeted when I switched to chat to Hubspot.) But my company just isn't big enough to justify Hubspot's hefty minimum monthly fee. 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

@gemma_sleight

Happy to jump on a quick call to iron this out before my next meeting. You'll find a 'conference' link in the footer of our website www.MFrankJohnson.com

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson

That would be wonderful. I have zoom but your link isn't working for some reason.

What is your email address and I'll add you?

Gemma

0 Upvotes
gemma_sleight
Participant

SOLVE

Hi

Thank you so much for your response.

I do not have this setting or I can't find it? I don't have an option for 'contact settings'... nor do I have 'email settings'. I am just looking under the settings menu... is there somewhere else I should look?

Gemma

0 Upvotes