What happens if contact not confirms double opt-in email

Andreas1

Hi! 

I can not find any information from the hubspot about what happens if the contact does not confirm the double opt-in email. The question I have is whether a contact is created in hubspot if the person does not confirm the email-address. But If a contact is created even if the person has not confimed, which tracking features or possibilities for gathering information is allowed. Also appreciate if anyone has any more resources or links for best practice on double opt-in and hubspot.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Hi @Andreas1

The way I understand it is that contacts who do not confirm the double opt-in will still be created in your database but will remain in an unconfirmed state and will be automatically dropped from future emails - as if they had bounced or opted out. 

Confirming double opt-in is not the same as accepting/declining cookies so I assume that all other tracking and analytics will work fine. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
clioi
Top Contributor

Hi Phil,

So should we enable double opt-in to be GDPR compliant?

Regards,

Clio

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Hi @clioi

Having double opt-in active would certainly help you demonstrate proven and freely given consent, meaning it would be a very good idea. 

However, and others may correct me here, my understanding is that double opt-in is not a specific requirement of GDPR and double opt-in alone does not make you GDPR compliant. 

I'm not a fan of this new legislation at all - because the practical implementation of the rules is not clear at all but all the responsibility for implementing them properly, and risk for not, sits with us, the businesses using email as a vital business communication tool.

Sorry I can't be of more help 🙂

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

FYI @Andreas1 and @clioi  

HubSpot has released its GDPR product roadmap. Find out more here:
https://www.hubspot.com/data-privacy/gdpr/product-readiness

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution