GDPR

DigiAl
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

Given we were waiting for Hubspot to update their GDPR functionality, we went ahead and ran our permission pass campaign a few weeks ago to collect consent.

We've ended up with a static list of about 300 people who have consented.

Now Hubspot has added some GDPR tools, how do we make sure these contacts have the relevant properties set? Specifically:

• subscription preferences - given that this seems to be how the system now records someone as opting in this seems to only be set on a contact by contact basis. I.e you can't update this on bulk so I'd have to do this 300 times manually.

It also seems strange that you can't run any kind of workflow against the Communication subscription type that has been created. For example, it would be useful to be able to:

• create a list of existing contacts based on their preferences.  So, for example, create a list of contacts that have either opted in (yes), opted out (no) or not opted in or out (neutral) to a communication type.

My head hurts....

2 Accepted solutions
DigiAl
Solution
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

Yes there is a way to bulk update but it's not using workflow, a bit of a faff, but it works.

To do the below you need to have all the contacts you want to update in a list, it sounds like you already have this so the steps are:

1) Go to contacts.

2) on the left apply a filter

3) select list membership as the criteria and chose your list and click apply

4) All the contacts you see should now only be the ones from your list.

5) On the left-hand side of each contact you can tick a box to select them, click the top checkbox to select all the contacts visible on the page.

6) When you do this a text bar appears that has a hyperlink that says something like 'Select all x amount of contacts'. Click this. Now all your contacts are selected

7) Along the top of the contacts page, you should now see a 'More button', this contains some extra actions you can apply to the selected contacts. In this list you can update the Legal basis for contact and you can also apply a subscription type to all the contacts.

😎 Done.

So possible, just annoying and would be much easier with workflow.

View solution in original post

ltedesco
Solution
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

OMG thank you so much! You saved me a ton of work! 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
DMurphy1
Contributor

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I could create a list and then subscribe them from there. But it does seem odd that we can't do this through a workflow. 

0 Upvotes
aalvarado
Contributor

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

From what I read, you can only opt-out from a list but you cannot opt-in and have the legal communication set from importing a list. Therefore, opting someone in has to be done manually for each contact that clicks the "Yes, keep me opted-in" on a permission pass campaign.

Suggestions?

0 Upvotes
ltedesco
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

I'm running into the same thing. We didnt want to wait for HubSpot and our resubscribe campaign a few weeks prior to GDPR start date and have over 2k contacts that have opted back in to our database. This has to be done manually for each one? There has to be a bulk way to update. 

0 Upvotes
DigiAl
Solution
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

Yes there is a way to bulk update but it's not using workflow, a bit of a faff, but it works.

To do the below you need to have all the contacts you want to update in a list, it sounds like you already have this so the steps are:

1) Go to contacts.

2) on the left apply a filter

3) select list membership as the criteria and chose your list and click apply

4) All the contacts you see should now only be the ones from your list.

5) On the left-hand side of each contact you can tick a box to select them, click the top checkbox to select all the contacts visible on the page.

6) When you do this a text bar appears that has a hyperlink that says something like 'Select all x amount of contacts'. Click this. Now all your contacts are selected

7) Along the top of the contacts page, you should now see a 'More button', this contains some extra actions you can apply to the selected contacts. In this list you can update the Legal basis for contact and you can also apply a subscription type to all the contacts.

😎 Done.

So possible, just annoying and would be much easier with workflow.

lhardy
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

Thanks for this. Just one question though. I also already did my permission pass campaign and have a manual contact property I created for consent. When I apply this to my list that agreed to this and consented, which of the options would be equal to full consent? So if I had done the campaign with the GDPR tools in place and used the new checkbox fields, what would the processing consent show up as in the property? The playbook says it would be set to "consent" so that seems like something different. The options here are "legitimate interest" which the playbook says is not consent? Is that all we can do with these contacts previously consented before these tools were in place?

0 Upvotes
DMurphy1
Contributor

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

I used different criteria for consent dependin g on how they came in and what their lifecycle was. (Filled out form for info=freely gave consent, Lifecycle is Customer=for performance of a contract, etc)

For email subscriptions, if they are clear opt-ins from a prior Permission Pass campaign, I added the Marketing subscription and 1:1 emails. 

If they did not actively opt-in but filled a form, or their lead source was an emailand they are not opted-out, I added them to marketing emails as well. 

I also added criteria for anyone not in a EU country. They got Not Applicable for their legal basis. 

0 Upvotes
ltedesco
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

For us, because we only asked them to opt into email we set all contacts who filled out the form to "Freely Given" option and marked in the details that they submitted a subscribe to email form. 

I left the legitimate interest ones to contacts who submit request more info forms. 

Louis

0 Upvotes
ltedesco
Solution
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

OMG thank you so much! You saved me a ton of work! 🙂

0 Upvotes
DigiAl
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

No worries I was in a similar situation.

0 Upvotes
mohall
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

This article on running a permission pass campaign might be helpful, particularly with regard to list creation:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-can-i-run-a-permission-pass-campaign-in...

0 Upvotes
DMurphy1
Contributor

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

I am on here looking for this exact same solution.  Thought I was preapred for the GDPR changes but today my head is exploding as well.

I am trying to figure out how to automate the subscription type for prior opt-ins as well. But I also know that they are only a fraction of our contacts. So are sales people going to have to stop their putreach until we have them opted-in? 

0 Upvotes
DigiAl
Participant

Using the new GDPR tools

SOLVE

While workflow doesn't seem to interact with the subscription type, there is, it turns out, a quick way to update the subscription type of a large number of contacts, say from a permission pass campaign. 

1) Go to your contacts.

2) Then add a filter from the left-hand side and filter to only see people in your opt-in list.

3) Down the left-hand side of all the contacts you'll see a checkbox. Check the one at the top to select them all.

4) When you do this a small prompt will appear allowing you to select all contacts. Do this.

5) Along a bit to the right, there is a 'More' drop-down. In here you can both set the legal status for processing for all contacts as well as subscribe them to a specific subscription type.

While the above solves the problem, I still don't know why doing this via workflow isn't an option?