GDPR

theboi

Using a third party cookie script with hubspot

Hello! I've browsed as many questions about cookies as I could, and still couldn't come up with a definitive answer. I'll break my problem up into a series of questions to it is clear as to what I am trying to do.

What's my goal?

I would like to use a third party cookie script (TrustArc) for cookie consent management.

What is my problem?

I need to block all hubspot cookies until the user either clicks accept or decline on my TrustArc Cookie Consent Banner. 

What have I done so far? 

I have been able to successfully integrate google tag manager and trustarc, so the tags only fire when the user clicks accept. Now my only remaining issue is that of the hubspot cookies.

Could someone help me with the approach for this? It would be greatly appreciated!!

3 Replies 3
PSINHA44

HI theboi, we also have same requirement. Could you please guide us, how u disabled tracking until user gave consent using trustarc?

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @theboi ,

I see you're actually doing cookie consent the correct way and blocking the setting of any cookies at all until AFTER consent is given, which... doesn't actually seem all that common.

I don't think this would help, but it does seem to be possible to remove the HS set cookies - see here. But it's too late at that point isn't it? You need a way to ensure the cookies aren't set in the first place...

One slightly bonkers idea would be to turn on and enable the HS cookies banner, which I think won't set cookies if you use 'Require Opt-in', but then hide it to the user and display your third-party consent instead. Then just trigger a synthetic click event on the HS Cookie Banner 'Accept' button when the equivalent button is clicked on the TrustArc popover. I kind of feel this might work but it makes me extremely uncomfortable to be programatically clicking a consent button. So that can't be the best way to do it.

@sharonlicari anyone from the product team you can ask to take a look at this? This seems like a common use case for large enterprise clients who need to use an organization-wide third-party cookie consent handler like TrustArc or OneTrust and can't use HS's baked-in solution. It would be good to have some details on how to make that work in a thread!

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

0 Upvotes
theboi

Sorry about long response time,  but yes we are trying to comply as much as possible, but it's becoming a bit tedious. 

As for your solution, I thought about something like that, but a pitching a work around like that to business leaders isn't exactly the best.

I'm thinking there is the possibility of writing some custom code and using the hubspot API, but I have to delve into that more.

In good news, I have the trustarc banner blocking all the cookies dopped by GA, so all that's left is hubspots cookies. 

0 Upvotes