GDPR

courtgoes

Subscription type/preferences landing page?

SOLVE

Is there a way to create a form on a landing page whereby customers who want to sign up have control over the type of information they get sent?

We use Hubspot CRM and pay for Marketing Starter, but it seems the only way to do this is to upgrade further to then create a Workflow for it? But this seems like a major lack in functionality when the whole point of the GDPR tools is to give customers more control.

We have 4 different subscription types and would like new subscribers to be able to opt-in to only the ones they're interested in. We'd do this with a custom property, except if they click 'update my subscription preferences' at the bottom of an email, this won't then be reflected in our custom properties. Why is the only way to do this through a (paid upgrade) Workflow? Seems like a money-grab from Hubspot. Am I missing something?

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @courtgoes,

Why not work with the default default subscription preference page? That's what I'd recommend here. When a recipient navigates to their subscription preference page, they can opt in and opt out of email subscriptions. This information is always reflected on the contact record and you wouldn't have to maintain a parallel system. (I know that the preference page is not ideal since it has to be accessed through the link in an email but it'd currently be your best option.)

Additionally, you can have contacts update their preferences through the GDPR options in website forms. When you create a website form, find the "Other form elements (Captcha, GDPR and more)" section in the left sidebar. Once you add a consent checkbox for communication, you can click into the big chunk of text that is added on the right. In the left sidebar, you should now see the option to add checkboxes for all the subscriptions that you want to show:

karstenkoehler_0-1628567414217.png

A custom property / workflow solution would give you some added flexibility here, indeed, but it'd be very close to the form checkboxes.

As far as HubSpot's pricing decisions go, yes, these can be frustrating but it is what it is and it's unlikely that HubSpot will make workflows available to lower tiers in the near future, considering that automation the main distinguishing feature of the Professional subscriptions.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
StacyZ
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler See screenshotScreen Shot 2021-08-19 at 8.34.24 AM.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @StacyZ,

This is a property that someone created as a custom property in your portal only. It's not a default HubSpot property. It can be used to store information about subscriptions but it's not linked to the HubSpot subscriptions at all.

You can check who created this by navigating to Settings > Properties, searching for it and checking the name that comes up in the search result.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @courtgoes,

Why not work with the default default subscription preference page? That's what I'd recommend here. When a recipient navigates to their subscription preference page, they can opt in and opt out of email subscriptions. This information is always reflected on the contact record and you wouldn't have to maintain a parallel system. (I know that the preference page is not ideal since it has to be accessed through the link in an email but it'd currently be your best option.)

Additionally, you can have contacts update their preferences through the GDPR options in website forms. When you create a website form, find the "Other form elements (Captcha, GDPR and more)" section in the left sidebar. Once you add a consent checkbox for communication, you can click into the big chunk of text that is added on the right. In the left sidebar, you should now see the option to add checkboxes for all the subscriptions that you want to show:

karstenkoehler_0-1628567414217.png

A custom property / workflow solution would give you some added flexibility here, indeed, but it'd be very close to the form checkboxes.

As far as HubSpot's pricing decisions go, yes, these can be frustrating but it is what it is and it's unlikely that HubSpot will make workflows available to lower tiers in the near future, considering that automation the main distinguishing feature of the Professional subscriptions.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Pjoneill

SOLVE

Karsten, question about your recommended solution.  I'm using the default Subscription Preference page but want to give recipients access to this page beyond the link that HubsSpot puts in my email footer.  Is there a way to bring them to the Subscription Preference page where they would enter there email address or where I could embed the link in emails that are generated outside of HubSpot?

MShea

SOLVE

@Pjoneill @karstenkoehler  Sorry for reviving a very old thread but wanted to follow-up on this. From the reading I've done in this and other threads is the below true? 

1. There is no easy way to link users from your website directly the subscription preferences page that is provided in emails that are sent. The ONLY way for users to access this page is via a email sent from hubspot. 

2. If a subscription preferences area must be created (such as in a users profile in our account section, we our a subscription service provider with authenticated users), the only way to potentially create this is to create customer properties for contacts which have a 1:1 relationship with our subscription types. We could then create a form on a landing page which displays these properties allowing users to subscribe/unsubscribe to them, and use workflows within huspot to update the actual subscription type for that contact. 

Appreciate the help. 

THammer
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi! I've posted a request for this feature here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/GDPR/Subscription-preference-page/m-p/844333#M1641 🙂

0 Upvotes
StacyZ
Contributor

SOLVE

This is really interesting.  What's the difference between adding these "consent to communicate" checkboxes for certain subscription types vs adding the check boxes from "contact properties" and selecting "subscriptions"? and then including a general "consent to communicate" checkbox?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @StacyZ,

Which contact properties for subscriptions are you referring to?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
courtgoes

SOLVE

Thanks heaps for that Karsten! The first part didn't solve my problem, as I was trying to find a workaround for new subscribers that'd match the comms preferences page that existing ones get. 

But the checkbox solution did solve my problem! I'd seen you could add it, but couldn't see how to add the other options in there. Saw where that option is now, so all solved! 

Again, thanks for your quick help! 😃