GDPR

AvonKuhn
Participant

Marketing contacts + subscribe?

SOLVE

Hi community,

Am I correct in assuming that a contact needs to be both marked as a marketing contact and subscribed to my marketing communication? If yes, I know how to mark contacts in the overview as marketing contacts but guess I always have to open the contact view to subscribe them?

Thanks,

Anna

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AvonKuhn,

Unless you have the GDPR options enabled (including the 'Legal basis required' option), technically, you don't have to opt-in contacts ( = subscribe them). It's still recommended but HubSpot would let you send the email.

If you have the 'Legal basis required' enabled, HubSpot will hold back marketing emails for contacts without opt-in. In that case, correct, you need to opt them in. You can find the necessary steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types

I usually opt in contacts in bulk from the contact index page.

And also generally, yes, correct. You need both. The marketing contact status is purely a billing feature in HubSpot. The subscription opt status is where you track the consent.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AvonKuhn,

Unless you have the GDPR options enabled (including the 'Legal basis required' option), technically, you don't have to opt-in contacts ( = subscribe them). It's still recommended but HubSpot would let you send the email.

If you have the 'Legal basis required' enabled, HubSpot will hold back marketing emails for contacts without opt-in. In that case, correct, you need to opt them in. You can find the necessary steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types

I usually opt in contacts in bulk from the contact index page.

And also generally, yes, correct. You need both. The marketing contact status is purely a billing feature in HubSpot. The subscription opt status is where you track the consent.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

AvonKuhn
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your quick response, it makes sense.

I also need to mark employees as marketing contacts if I want to send them internal newsletters through HubSpot, correct?

Thanks,

Anna

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AvonKuhn,

Exactly – unless you have the transactional email add-on and are planning to send these internal newsletters as transactional email.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler