GDPR

CSutherland2

Mailchimp account syncing error nightmare!

Hello!

I have just connected my Outlook contacts and Mailchimp accounts to hubspot. Hubspot has sent 150 of my email contacts over to Mailchimp, which has added all these contacts to my mailing list and sent them a welcome email!

It is a nightmare! And surely a GDPR issue? As all of these email contacts have gone across to Mailchimp.

Has anyone had this issue before? I don't know what to do next! I have to individually email all these peopl eto apologise and remove from my mailing list!

Thanks in advance,

Cathy

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Mailchimp account syncing error nightmare!

@CSutherland2 I recently had another HubSpot/MailChimp integration user say the same thing. It's definitely an issue. Unfortunately, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Knowing that the integration works this way, you won't do it again. But in the meantime, you've sent emails to people you didn't intend to. 

Is there a MailChimp setting that keeps the system from auto-sending a welcome email? Also looking at the integrations, knowing that it will automatically port your HubSpot contacts into MailChimp is helpful to know ahead of time, which I thought I read in the documentation. But it's easy to miss. 

I'm not a lawyer. I'm not a GDPR expert. My thought: If the people in HubSpot CRM were inbound leads and they opted in, getting an email from you shouldn't be the end of the world. If I were in your shoes, I'd send an apology email to them all, giving them the option to unsubscribe. Explain that connecting two systems inadvertently caused an email send, and you're sorry. I think that goes a long way for a lot of people.

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/