GDPR

kat1
Participant

Legitimate interest and opting out of marketing emails

SOLVE

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice/thoughts on using legitimate interest as the basis for emailing and the Hubspot tools.

We are using legitimate interest as the legal basis for emailing customers and prospects (B2B) which I have set up using the GDPR options available.

Ideally, I would like individuals to have the option to opt-out of marketing emails at any point (e.g. right to object by unsubscribing for marketing emails). However, in Hubspot as they haven't explicitly opted in they are set as 'neither opted out or opted in' - so when they go to manage their subscriptions they aren't able to opt-out, only opt-in.

Has anyone else come across this issue and how have you managed it?

One thought I had was to set-up a form to manage this process and direct people to that to say they want to unsubscribe? 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
vladgeo1
Solution

SOLVE

You can try creating a smart list with the contats that are "neither opt-in or opt-out", and send an email asking them if they wish to remain subscribed to your content.

If they don't wish to remain subscribe, at a call-to-action in the email that when clicked set their value to "opted-out", and for those that don't click the call-to-action, set a workflow to set their value to "opted-in", since that is the implied action.

Either way, will have no more contacts in "limbo".

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
vladgeo1
Solution

SOLVE

You can try creating a smart list with the contats that are "neither opt-in or opt-out", and send an email asking them if they wish to remain subscribed to your content.

If they don't wish to remain subscribe, at a call-to-action in the email that when clicked set their value to "opted-out", and for those that don't click the call-to-action, set a workflow to set their value to "opted-in", since that is the implied action.

Either way, will have no more contacts in "limbo".

Hope this helps.

kat1
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for your response

Unfortunately, this doesn't really solve my problem - I do not need to or want to ask people to opt in - I just want them to be able to opt out if they choose to.

I think a separate form is the way I can sort this out.

0 Upvotes