GDPR

Lucinda
Contributor

How to set up email so that it only sends to subscribed contacts

SOLVE

Is there a way that we can change our email send settings so that it only sends to contacts that have been subscribed to the email subscription type for that email? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Lucinda,

The first option is designed to only let emails through to contacts who have an opt-in for the subscription. If a contact is not opted (empty), the email would not be sent.

(Otherwise this would be the exact same behavior as usual: Only explicit opt-outs would be suppressed – which is always the case.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Lucinda,

The first option is designed to only let emails through to contacts who have an opt-in for the subscription. If a contact is not opted (empty), the email would not be sent.

(Otherwise this would be the exact same behavior as usual: Only explicit opt-outs would be suppressed – which is always the case.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Lucinda,

Yes, this can be achieved by enabling the GDPR functionality in your portal and toggling the checkbox "Legal basis required: Only allow marketing emails to be sent to contacts who have a legal basis to communicate."

karstenkoehler_0-1620823415376.png

Alternatively, if for some reason enabling the GDPR settings is not an option, I'd recommend working with exclusion lists. These are plain active lists that filter for contacts who are not subscribed to the subscription type chosen for your upcoming email, see the second to last option:

karstenkoehler_1-1620823442204.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Lucinda
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Karsten, the first option wouldn't work for us as it would still send to contacts that aren't "opted-in" e.g. they have a blank preference against that email subscription type. The second option isn't quite as water-tight as I'd like in terms of GDPR, as there is room for human error for someone not to attach an exclusion list to their email. The issue we have is that we are asking people to opt-in to email subscription types using forms but then Hubspot doesn't automatically opt them out if they don't opt-in.   

0 Upvotes