GDPR

frobert
Participant

How to set _ptq.gif tracking pixel only after visitor has accepted cookie consent

SOLVE

Hi,

I have an external site that is using hubspot tracking. I use the hubspot cookie policy banner, and managed to configure the site to set cookies only after the user has accepted the cookie policy.
My problem is that the _ptq.gif tracking pixel is downloaded from track.hubspot.com regardless of the cookie consent.

Is there a way to configure the tracking code to download it only after the user has accepted the cookie consent, or if that's not possible, then disable downloading the pixel altogether?

Thank you very much for your help.

Robert

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
TiphaineCuisset
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to set _ptq.gif tracking pixel only after visitor has accepted cookie consent

SOLVE

Hi @frobert 

Thank you for your patience. 

I got an update from the team. 

The pixel is expected to still load even if the user hasn't accepted cookies, but it will only record anonymous page view data and nothing about the user. Without cookies we still want to be able to record that a page view happened, we just can't record who viewed the page. If you were to prevent it firing until cookies were accepted your traffic analytics would be completely incorrect.

We don't have documentation on the pixel specifically but this article lists all of the cookies we use. Only the ones marked "strictly necessary" should fire before consent is given and everything else should require consent.

Hope that helps.
Have a lovely day,
Tiphaine.

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alyssamwilie
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey @frobert from my understanding Hubspot's tracking pixel requires particular cookies to actually log information about a user and since clicking decline on the cookie policy banner opts them out from tracking cookies the cookies required for the pixel to work will not be added to the browser. So although the pixel is still added to the website it is unable to actually gather information specific to the user.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
frobert
Participant

SOLVE

Many thanks for your help, @alyssamwilie ! Is this documented somewhere that I can show my collegues at legal?

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie

SOLVE

@frobert I haven't been able to find anything that specifically mentions the _ptq.gif but this knoweldge base article under How does Hubspot track website visitor activity it talks about how they use cookies to identifity and track users and then in the following section that the consent banner is having the user consent or decline being tracked by cookies.

@TiphaineCuisset Is there a Hubspot employee that could confirm the __ptq.gif tracking pixel runs off a cookie and does not log user information when consent is revoked? Because I searched high and low in the knowledge base and developer documentation and found no mention of this pixel.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi there, 

Thank you for your help @alyssamwilie !

@frobert I've reached out to the team and I'll let you know once I have an update

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @frobert 

Thank you for your patience. 

I got an update from the team. 

The pixel is expected to still load even if the user hasn't accepted cookies, but it will only record anonymous page view data and nothing about the user. Without cookies we still want to be able to record that a page view happened, we just can't record who viewed the page. If you were to prevent it firing until cookies were accepted your traffic analytics would be completely incorrect.

We don't have documentation on the pixel specifically but this article lists all of the cookies we use. Only the ones marked "strictly necessary" should fire before consent is given and everything else should require consent.

Hope that helps.
Have a lovely day,
Tiphaine.

frobert
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the help, @TiphaineCuisset !
In the meantime, I've checked and it seems that the pixel is downloaded even when using a category-based cookie policy, so I believe it comes with the Necessary cookies.

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @frobert 

Thank you for reaching out. 

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @tjoyce @Indra @stefen do you have any suggestions for @frobert on this?

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

0 Upvotes