GDPR

kmalkiewicz
Contributor

Has Anyone Required Marketing Opt in for Gated Content?

SOLVE

Has anyone edited their forms to make it required a contact to opt-in to marketing emails for gated content, or have the check box be an opt-out instead? I know the first is possible--I've been on many websites that require me to opt-in to emails before I can download their content. I know it's not a HubSpot option, but is it something achievable through a custom code? Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @kmalkiewicz 

Correct me if I'm wrong; you want people to check the box before submitting the form. If they don't check the box, they cannot submit the form. Is it?

Please check Tom's answer in this thread, and live example here. Yes, you can do that using HubSpot forms. There are different options available in the form. You need to choose "Consent checkboxes for communications and processing" option.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Aakar

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @KatarzynaSz 

Interesting point. I haven't looked into that option, so I don't know how HubSpot handles it. It looks like you might be able to generate a temporary link with HubSpot file manager. So that you don't have to worry about links being shared.

This is also a new discovery for me, I will try using this feature for our next gated content. Thanks for asking. 🙂 
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 6.18.50 PM.png

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
KatarzynaSz
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi 😉 I would like to elaborate on that point above: my problem is that if the form is filled out, the inline thank you message is displayed with the link that redirects the user to the document. Unfortunately in that case the link can be shareable so the other use can access it without filling out the form, which means I am not able to gain any information about a new contact who opened the document. Is it possible to make the link unshareable?

Thank you in advance for reply!

0 Upvotes
EAGMark
Contributor

SOLVE

I was looking for the same solution, but reading the replies to your original question, I don't think they apply. If your question is about gated content, what happens after the user fills out the form? Are they redirected to another page to download the content?

0 Upvotes
kmalkiewicz
Contributor

SOLVE

After the user fills out the form we redirect to a thank you page where they can click a link to download. We also always send an email with the same link, but of course if they don't opt to the subscription they won't receive it. I've found that redirecting to a thank you page with another piece of content download is helpful. We've had a handful of people not opt in, get redirected to the thank you form, and then opt in on the 2nd piece of content they download. Maybe 1 out of every 20 do this, but it's better than nothing!

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @kmalkiewicz 

Yes, we've been doing that. If you are on HubSpot, you don't need to write the custom code, it's a HubSpot feature. (Maybe you've to slightly update the CSS just to make sure consent opt-in section looks good.)

First, turn on the GDPR settings in HubSpot. Then, edit your form, you'll see a consent option. As suggested by @jennysowyrda you'll find the detail information here.

Thanks.

Aakar

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
0 Upvotes
kmalkiewicz
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for your response! In the article it states that requiring someone check the box isn't possible, and I'm wondering if it is possible to do so using code in additon to the form builder in HubSpot. I've been on other sites where I did have to consent to communicate in order to receive gated content (Workday comes to mind as an example), and without checking the box I couldn't submit the form. That's something we'd like to replicate on our forms as well.

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @kmalkiewicz 

Correct me if I'm wrong; you want people to check the box before submitting the form. If they don't check the box, they cannot submit the form. Is it?

Please check Tom's answer in this thread, and live example here. Yes, you can do that using HubSpot forms. There are different options available in the form. You need to choose "Consent checkboxes for communications and processing" option.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Aakar

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
kmalkiewicz
Contributor

SOLVE

Ah ok, I must have missed that. Thank you so much!

Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Happy to help. 🙂 

Cheers!

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kmalkiewicz,

I think what you are looking for can be achieved through this process.

If you are referring to something else, please let me know.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes