GDPR

SVerheyen

GDPR on tacking document views

SOLVE

Hello,

We recently realized the need for customers to input their mail address for viewing documents. Though for us, a UK based B2B company, that sends a brochure at the start, this is not ideal as a casual opener.

Though I had issues finding if turning this setting off for specific users would make us break GDPR rules, if there was a way to stop the tracking all together or if there is consent that can be given with a single checkbox instead of filling in an email address?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SVerheyen,

I've found this on your question: "When the Require email address to view document setting is disabled, all contacts who view the document link will not be identified unless they have previously entered their email to view another document shared from the same account." (source) HubSpot will still however track a contact if a cookie has been set in their browser before. There's in a tracking on/of switch.

If tracking is irrelevant, you could simply send a direct link to a file or send the file as an attachment?

Thanks for tagging, @PamCotton.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
wmflan39
Contributor

SOLVE

For a year or so, we've required name+email to view collateral on our site, employing URL parameters and HubL to deliver the requested material on the TY page. This way, we only send nurturing emails to those visitors previously granting permission.

WmF

0 Upvotes
SVerheyen

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

Thanks for the quick reply and information! I did see that quote as well, though I guess I misread it. So thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot already.

As for attaching files, I thought of that as well but we use quite a bit of sequences and templates and as far as I could see, we cannot attach files to a template, though I might be mistaken in that. 

Either way, as you mentioned we can always link to an external file, though of course if possible, we'd like to make our emails as easy to navigate as possible. Hence we're trying to see what is actually possible to find the best option for us.

Also thanks to @PamCotton for boosting my question.

Have a nice day all and with kind regards,

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SVerheyen,

I've found this on your question: "When the Require email address to view document setting is disabled, all contacts who view the document link will not be identified unless they have previously entered their email to view another document shared from the same account." (source) HubSpot will still however track a contact if a cookie has been set in their browser before. There's in a tracking on/of switch.

If tracking is irrelevant, you could simply send a direct link to a file or send the file as an attachment?

Thanks for tagging, @PamCotton.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @SVerheyen. That's a great question! I will add some top experts to share their thoughts, @Phil_Vallender @karstenkoehler any recommendations to @SVerheyen matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !