GDPR

Mudia

GDPR Region specific emails.

SOLVE

Hi All,

It would be great if Hubspot could region specified section GDPR rules within emails, like you can with websites, i.e. sequence emails would only include Unsubscribe links (to follow GDPR rules) for specific contacts or specific GDPR-compliant regions. 

So if I email someone in the EU it would apply the unsubscribe link but if I email someone in the USA, it would not apply the unsubscribe link.

I think this would be very helpful! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Mudia 

We are talking about the Sales emails here, correct?

I see where you coming from, but would suggest to keep two things in mind:

1. This isn't just a GDPR requirement but something that is becoming law in the US and Canada too.
  2. Assuming for a second this is just GDPR, it's important to know that GDPR covers the privacy and data rights off all EU citizens. The trouble you quickly run into is, that unless you specifically ask people for their nationality/citizenship (and even that could be a grey area with dual citizenships) you have no way of confidently knowing if a contact is an EU citizens or not. My very pragmatic view would be to be as compliant as possible across all your contacts and their private information, as it means enforcing one set of rules.

Having said all that, depending how you are using sales emails, i.e. sales reps/account managers send individual emails via the HubSpot CRM vs sales reps/account managers enrol 100s of contacts into a myriad of sequences - for the former I tend to remove the default unsub link when I write the email, for the latter I would definitely keep the unsub link as large sales email volume can negatively impact your sender score and email deliverability.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Mudia 

We are talking about the Sales emails here, correct?

I see where you coming from, but would suggest to keep two things in mind:

1. This isn't just a GDPR requirement but something that is becoming law in the US and Canada too.
  2. Assuming for a second this is just GDPR, it's important to know that GDPR covers the privacy and data rights off all EU citizens. The trouble you quickly run into is, that unless you specifically ask people for their nationality/citizenship (and even that could be a grey area with dual citizenships) you have no way of confidently knowing if a contact is an EU citizens or not. My very pragmatic view would be to be as compliant as possible across all your contacts and their private information, as it means enforcing one set of rules.

Having said all that, depending how you are using sales emails, i.e. sales reps/account managers send individual emails via the HubSpot CRM vs sales reps/account managers enrol 100s of contacts into a myriad of sequences - for the former I tend to remove the default unsub link when I write the email, for the latter I would definitely keep the unsub link as large sales email volume can negatively impact your sender score and email deliverability.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
Mudia

SOLVE

Thank you for your answer and support  @franksteiner79, I will look into it! 

0 Upvotes