GDPR

SinikkaKauhane

Duplicates: may we use earlier contact information?

SOLVE

Hi! We have an inbound campaign active. Someone downloaded our material with their private phone number and Gmail address. Hubspot recognised a duplicate and they had downloaded something earlier with their work contact information.

What's your view, can our sales person contact them to their work phone number even though they used their private information in this particular campaign? Does GDPR have something to say about this?

Thank you!
- Sinikka

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SinikkaKauhane,

As far as I know, GDPR is specific about which email address consent is provided for. I'd assume that it's the same for the phone number. Eventually however, this depends on the exact consent notice that contacts are agreeing to when submitting to.

Depending on the consent notice, this contact has now probably provided their consent twice, once for their work contact details, once for the private contact details. By submitting the form a second time, they have not necessarily opted out with their previous contact information. Whether HubSpot merged this into one contact should be irrelevant here, I think.

In any case, I'd recommend discussing with a legal professional. (My reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SinikkaKauhane,

As far as I know, GDPR is specific about which email address consent is provided for. I'd assume that it's the same for the phone number. Eventually however, this depends on the exact consent notice that contacts are agreeing to when submitting to.

Depending on the consent notice, this contact has now probably provided their consent twice, once for their work contact details, once for the private contact details. By submitting the form a second time, they have not necessarily opted out with their previous contact information. Whether HubSpot merged this into one contact should be irrelevant here, I think.

In any case, I'd recommend discussing with a legal professional. (My reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.