Double opt in for people met at an event (offline)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hei, we have enabled double opt in and I am now wondering about one challenge:

We meet people at an event, they are created in Salesforce and travel to Hubspot. But they won't receive our emails.

How could I ensure they get on route to double opt in?

I know one way would be to create a sort of event landing page and have them fill it out at the event. But I am not sure how that works in practice, as it can be quite hectic at the booth.

Another option would be to set up a follow up template that is to be sent manually (via the mail add on) by each sales rep with a link pointing to downloadable content. That is probably fine for small events but what if we come back with 1000 new leads?

I was wondering how others are tackling this issue.

7 Replies 7
Community Thought Leader

Q: Double opt in for people met at an event (offline)

A: We've had great success with a combination of your options.

1. Import List (see recommendations below)
  2. Setup email with a CTA pointing to a 'Please Confirm Your Request For Information' landing page -- which re-captures their email (and, optionally, any other missing data).
  3. Use a Workflow to automatically send the confirmation email from each sales rep. (this is a workflow option)

If they opt-in, after their organic request for info, send them to the Thank You Page for delivery of the information. If not, you've taken your best single shot to remind them of their organic request. Done.

Recommendations (import/enter asap)

We've seen better success importing lists each evening and sending the next morning when using this strategy at multi-day events.

We've seen even better success having the leads entered in real time at large events. (even if we have to enter them ourselves during downtime)

Finally, when using such a “confirmation” campaign it's important to keep track of how each individual address came to be on a list, including capturing originating/sign-up IPs, time and date stamp, a screen capture of the disclosure language and all relevant privacy policies in place at the time of subscription. This will help in future troubleshooting should issues arise with any particular segment of the list.

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDid my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hei thank you for your answer.

I was wondering about a few points. If you enter the leads to the event landing page yourself during downtime, is this still in line with GDPR? I feel this opt in process is a bit of a grey zone. Does it mean we just have to ensure there is a double opt in process or does it mean it has to be the person who actually filled out the page themselves?

And then the other question, I wonder is there any sort of app that would allow us to scan a businesscard and add that info to a Hubspot form? 

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

>"...a bit of a grey zone."

Agreed with regard to CAN-SPAM, but not GDPR. 

No legal eagle here, but I've certainly read the documents that regulate the #1 marketing channel in our field for countries where we serve clients (i.e., CAN-SPAM, CASL, and GDPR).

While the GDPR doesn't emphasize the method of collection it is very clear about using personal data only for the purpose it was collected. And that 'purpose for collection' has to be clearly and unambiguously communicated (and then some) at the time of collection.

IOW - if you collect business cards for the purpose of having a sales person email them to follow-up and that's clearly communicated at the time of collection, then it's ok to send that follow-up email for that purpose only. However, it's NOT ok to subscribe that same fishbowl of business card owners to a list whereby they'll be sent newsletters, blogs, marketing email, etc.. He11, technically, we can't even subscribe them to our annual Holiday Greetings list. (head shaking)

Litmus, the awesome email service HubSpot and many other major providers use to 'test' emails, published a nice article on the topic -- 5 Things You Must Know about Email Consent under GDPR

Feel free to reach out soon if you need help with your re-permission campaigns, or with adding a custom Contact Property used to identify contacts who've given permission that complies with GDPR before 25-May-2018 -- not a 'necessity', but we like to err on the side of caution here.

Best,

Frank 

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDid my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

-ps

Vaguely remember reading about one of those HubSpot integrations that pull in business cards nicely, but couldn't find it in time to answer this post before my next meeting. Sorry.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Thank you, you are super helpful in this.

So basically, what you are saying is, however we collect the data doesn't matter. We could even import a list of people we met at an event to Salesforce, sync that to Hubspot and then send a personal(ish) message asking them to confirm their subscription? Something along the lines: We want to make sure you receive our latest content, please confirm your subscription here.

So then that would actually make this whole thing a lot easier.

Also, if you end up remembering the name of the tool that would be great, I googled but didn't find much. But if the whole process as I outlined above works then we might not need to have this solution anyway.

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

>"however we collect the data doesn't matter."

Strongly disagree. The collection method and context always matters from both a marketing and GDPR perspective. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

>"send a personal(ish) message"

No. No 'ish' involved. The message needs to be highly personalized (from a marketing/sales standpoint) with a clear and unambiguous description of how their data will be used.

Example:

Hi John,

We met at Inbound17 yesterday and had a great conversation about working together on the new bot project for Acme Electric. You left me your business card and I wanted to follow up with you asap (as promised).

May I send you some marketing materials highlighting the bot case studies we discussed?

[Explicit request for permission to send email for a clear and unambigious purpose. Optionally, you could just send the requested material in this initial email.] 

You'll also find more case studies on our website (www.MFrankJohnson.com) showcasing a wider range of projects we've completed with the option to subscribe to periodic updates in your inbox.

Happy we met and really looking forward to working together.

Thanks again.

Best,

Frank

www.MFrankJohnson.com

-- END OF EXAMPLE

I can't emphasize this strongly enough, there is no double opt-in quick-fix to circumvent the GDPR when meeting people at an event. When those people hand you their business card at an event they're not granting permission to be added to a subscription list. At best they're agreeing to a personalized email from an account rep asking to follow-up. What happens after that is between the parties.

Based on your follow-up question it's probably best if you seek the advice of someone who can help you craft an internal email policy that's fully GDPR compliant. Crafting and adhering to such an email policy will save you tons of grief later. (see Litmus article cited above)

Good luck on your project. | Signing off this thread.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hei, I think we had a misunderstanding. I fully agree on the need for double opt in and I am fighting this fight internally where some people still want to resort to 'old ways'. I just meant that the person we talk to, does not have to press a button on one of our forms with his finger to be allowed to join the opt-in discussion. Does this make sense? I always thought the first step of the opt in has to be somewhat by the person themselves. 

As for the personalish, yes exactly what you described is what I meant but I downgraded it with the ish because while it's personalized it is not as if we send one email to each person rehashing exact parts of this exact discussion.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hello,

Were you able to find a solution for this?

I have been thinking about the same problem for a while. With the Double Opt-in feature enabled in HubSpot we can't send any email unless the email confirmation is done (they click on confirm your email address). And for off line leads to be able to confirm their email address they need to fill a form, which should be sent as a link in an email to them after the event so this gives us the chicken and egg problem.

Thank you.

0 Upvotes