GDPR

Vroegindeweij

Cookie consent per cookie categorie

SOLVE

Hi everyone, 

I just set up the new cookie policy from Hubspot on my websites. I know that because of the GDPR, we need to give the ability to visitors to decline any cookies. But the way it is set up right now, you can either accept or decline all of them. I've seen quite some websites giving the option to opt-in for specific type of cookies. In this way, a visitor can opt-in for anonymous analytics cookies, but opt-out for advertisement cookies. 

Does any of you know a way of setting up the different cookie categorie opt-ins? Is Hubspot going to implement this option any time soon? I'm worried I will loose way to much data. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
ojobson
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

The new cookie control tools are useless as they only control HubSpot cookies.
If you use the COS and google analytics (and who doesn't use google anlaytics) then you can't use the hubspot provided cookie control system.
If you have standard social sharing tools or video embedded from youtube (or any other scripts that might set cookies) then these will mostly likely include the use of cookies - so again the HubSpot cookie settings are useless because it doesn't prevent them from being set.
There are no tools in the HS cookie control tool that allow any control on which cookies can be set.
If you opt to abandon the HS cookie control system and use 3rd party cookie controls, and use a seperate script to place the HubSpot do not track cookie, then this results in two issues First, the hubspot code seems to ignore the HS do not track cookie and places cookies anyway. If the HS do not track cookie was working properly then you can't seperate tracking cookies from anonymous/aggregate data because the donottrack track cookie tells hubspot to ignore everything - so you get no data in hubspot for these visits.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23
magmar
Contributor | Platinum Partner
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi antoonia,

you could use the the Usercentrics content blocker and load this at the top of your head. This will block YouTube (Window with Consent window appears), but you have to setup YouTube as a service within usercentrics. BUT it WILL cost you PageSpeed, as the script is large and may not be loaded async.

You'll find the documentation, here:
https://docs.usercentrics.com/#/smart-data-protector

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @Vroegindeweij this page outlines all the possible ways you can customize your HubSpot cookie policy banner: How to customize cookie tracking and your privacy policy alert in HubSpot.

Based on this information I do not beleive it is possible to set the HubSpot banner to perform in this way. You could therefore implement a custom solution to comply with EU regulations, but this is not something I am able to advise on. 

Please note: while these features live in HubSpot, your legal team is the best resource to give you compliance advice for your specific situation.

ojobson
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

The new cookie control tools are useless as they only control HubSpot cookies.
If you use the COS and google analytics (and who doesn't use google anlaytics) then you can't use the hubspot provided cookie control system.
If you have standard social sharing tools or video embedded from youtube (or any other scripts that might set cookies) then these will mostly likely include the use of cookies - so again the HubSpot cookie settings are useless because it doesn't prevent them from being set.
There are no tools in the HS cookie control tool that allow any control on which cookies can be set.
If you opt to abandon the HS cookie control system and use 3rd party cookie controls, and use a seperate script to place the HubSpot do not track cookie, then this results in two issues First, the hubspot code seems to ignore the HS do not track cookie and places cookies anyway. If the HS do not track cookie was working properly then you can't seperate tracking cookies from anonymous/aggregate data because the donottrack track cookie tells hubspot to ignore everything - so you get no data in hubspot for these visits.

JannieEngen
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi guys, I see some here are using One Trust as cookie manger?

We are located in EU and are using OneTrust on our homepage that we host in WP, but we are also thinking of using Hubspot for som landigpages and maybe migrate the blog to Hubspot in the future. As of for know we have the WP-plugin for Hubspot on our homepage and I see only two cookies coming from Hubspot showing up in OneTrust. 

My questions is:
Did you find a solution for allowing Hubspot tracking and still use One Trust as cookie manager one your WP homepage?
And is there a documentation on which cookies to expect thorugh the WP plugin in order to check if OneTrust cactche them all?

And how did you solve it in terms of getting One Trust cookie manger on HS hosted pages such as landingpages and blog?

0 Upvotes
RaviT
Participant

SOLVE

Has anyone used a vendor to customize the HS cookie banner and performance to adhere to the EU GDPR regulations of allowing people to opt in or out of the different categories of cookies? 

0 Upvotes
SimonS
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

We're using Cookiebot which works great and easy. Also very user friendly and easy to understand for your visitors.

HubSpot cookie consent is usable only for clients who have CMS & Marketing Hub and as long as you use the integrations for GTM, GA, Google Ads, LinkedIn, Facebook etcetera to set the pixels. Than visitors can opt-in (or out) and will the pixel/cookie be placed accordingly.

0 Upvotes
antooonia
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @SimonS,

we're doing almost exactly the same with usercentrics and the combination of Hubspot, Wordpress and a consent management tool works quite fine.

We, however, struggle with the topic of consent around youtube videos. Because no matter the user's choice (opt-in or out of youtube cookies), youtube will definitely track data in the moment 

For Wordpress there are plugins which put an extra banner over youtube videos making the user push a button to track their consent about data being sent to youtube. I don't see any way right now to implement this in the Hubspot CMS. How do you handle this?

0 Upvotes
MacaPerez
Participant | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi Simon,

Does it mean that you are using Cookiebot on Hubspot landing pages? A visitor who lands on my landing pages or blog hosted on Hubspot will be able to configure which type of cookies they accept or which ones they don't thanks to Cookiebot?

Thanks in adavance,

Maca

0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi Maca,

Yes, that's what we do. We use Cookiebot on every domain and subdomains to ensure that the visitor only has to set their preference once no matter where they land on the site.

They'll be able to configure what cookies to accept or not and to change this afterwards. And you'll be able to prove that you'll comply to GDPR.

Happy implementing 😉

Simon

MacaPerez

SOLVE

Thank you very much for the advice Simon.

I have been reading about cookiebot implementation through GTM and it seems easy: https://support.cookiebot.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003793854-Google-Tag-Manager-deployment. I only have one question: what kind of cookie settings 

(settings > cookies > policies ) do you select in Hubspot to make Cookiebot manage Hubspot tracking? In order to track only when the user consents..

Thanks in advance!!

Maca

0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi Maca,

If you've got Cookiebot implemented you don't need to set cookie policies in HubSpot. That's what's Cookiebot is for as of than 😉

Implement the Cookiebot script on every page through GTM and you can manage all cookie setting from there (in GTM).

Best, Simon

FrankWL
Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thank you for your insight, @SimonS 

When implementing CookieBot through GTM, in which category do you assign the HubSpot script?

Marketing - to allow user tracking?

Essential - to permit the loading of forms?

Tx,

Frank

0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi @FrankWL ,

We assign them to the Marketing category. Forms will be loaded non the less. You should ask opt-in permission on the form to make sure that you've got the right subscription type and consent. This won't override cookie consent but permits communication after filling out the form.

You just won't recognise them when they return to the site..

Does this answer help?

Best, Simon

FrankWL

SOLVE

Tx, perfect.

0 Upvotes
SaveFerris

SOLVE

Hi Simon,

I'm in a similar situation to others here. I have implemented OneTrust on some 45+ sites now but HS is an issue. The only thing I can see that HS offer to stop cookies is using the doNotTrack cookie. However, as previously stated by others this does not stop all cookies. The descriptions of cookie use and what they affect is missing from any HS documentation. 

I would like to know definitively when using a third-party GDPR solution like OneTrust what should be applied when opting out and in and what the effect would be in HS. There is no documentation for this and when reaching out to support they refer you only to the current documentation which isn't (in my opinion) fit for purpose. 

The HS solution isn't viable for many sites, the current implementation I am looking at has over 200 cookies from different vendors, thus HS is a minority yet is the only showstopper for the project. 

Any 'detailed' advise would be appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance,

Geoff

KarinE1
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Simon, that's good to know about Cookiebot. I'm researching them now for a cookie banner for our site as well. So do you use it for both a main website domain and a sub-domain for HubSpot pages? I'm trying to find a one stop solution that will cover all of the pages on my my site because we'll often have people enter our site through a HubSpot page. Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi @KarinE1 ,

Yes. We use it for all subdomains and language versions. Their pricing is per subdomain though but not too expensive.

KarinE1
Participant

SOLVE

Awesome, thanks for the reply! One more questions (well, two I guess): Are you using WordPress and did you implement using their plugin? Or, did you implement using GTM?

Thank you

0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi Karin,

We are using WordPress (and other CMS's) and GTM for tagging, including the Cookiebot script and the logic for the consent statements. Haven't used their plugin, I guess it makes it a lot easier but you have to configure it for the subdomains for HubSpot too. I think GTM makes that a lot quicker across all (sub)domains. 

RaviT
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Simon-

We ended up using OneTrust for HubSpot forms, which allows us to have the advanced preference center as our banner vs having a generic cookie banner.

We are waiting for HubSpot's solution. Hoping in Q4.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes