Contacts deleted - don't get double opt in

KathiNetpress
Participant

I am experiencing the problem that when I delete a contact from the Hubspot database and then the user gets back into the database, he doesn't get the double opt in email.  He just gets the emails from the account without double opt in. When I then opt out manually the contact, delete it from hubspot and then the user gets back into the system - the user doesnt get any emails eben when resubscribing (resubscription email feature is on).

Does anyone know this problem? And what's wrong?

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

HI @KathiNetpress According to your email settings for portal 324903, double opt-in is not enabled for any pages. Therefore any contact added to the portal will be sent marketing emails. 

You stated that your contacts are deleted, but then they come back into the portal. By what method are they being added to the portal after previously being deleted? 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Zooma
Member | Diamond Partner

Hello!
I have the exact same problem. The contact enters the database by once again filling out a form, e.g. content offer download. This will become a problem related to GDPR unless fixed. Also it seems that despite enabled for all pages, it only works on the blog, not the landing pages. Portal ID: 2659996.

Best regards,

Stellan

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Zooma  It looks like you haven't set up your primary domains yet. Can you set up your domains and publish to confirm that double opt-in works in your portal? 

Regarding the deleted contacts, a re-converted contact would maintain the same double opt-in status, even if they were previously deleted from the portal. 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Zooma
Member | Diamond Partner

Hello!

1. That portal is a demo portal, so it won't have a primary domain. Are you sure that's the issue?

2. That is the other problem; with GDPR there is an extensive right to be deleted / forgotten, so if a contact asks to be deleted and we keep the opt-in data for next time they come back, we are potentially not compliant with GDPR and that could cause major problems. Has the GDPR team at HubSpot looked at this as part of their work?

Best regards,

Stellan

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Zooma Apolgoies it has been so long since I've responded. See below for answers to your queries. 

1. I do see that your portal is a marketing trial portal. Can you provide a link to one of your landing pages for me to test? You may still need to publish the page to a non-trial domain for the double opt-in process to work correctly, but I'll need a failure sample from the current domain to confirm (feel free to send the link in a PM if neccesary).  

2. Our Product and Security teams are working on the GDPR plan. We'll have updates in the coming months. Please refer to our GDPR website for the most current information. You can also reach out to your account manager, who can pass further queries on to the GDPR team. For the most recent udpates, please refer to this HubSpot Community thread (scroll down to the response from nkoop)

Thank you,

Ed Justen

0 Upvotes
Zooma
Member | Diamond Partner

Hello again @edjusten!

1. Landing page example has been sent via PM.

2. With regards to GDPR, we are familiar with the general GDPR information/website, but wasn't aware of the community thread mentioned so question will be aksed there instead. We will reach May quickly, hence there is now a need to move from sweeping descriptions of what is being worked on to an actual roadmap of what will be fixed and what won't, so that everyone on HubSpot can make a transparent assessment of the situation. 

Best regards,

Stellan

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Zooma  

FYI - 

HubSpot has released its GDPR product roadmap. Find out more here:
https://www.hubspot.com/data-privacy/gdpr/product-readiness

Ed Justen

0 Upvotes