Email Marketing Tool

GuyA
Contributor

send TY email to a referral (based on a custom field)

SOLVE

Hi,

Need your help with the following case:

We have an internal contest – every employee who will refer a lead (via form) will get 1 point.

I’ve created the form, and the new custom fields

The lead fills in the form, and add his email (the standard email field)

The lead also adds the email of the employee who referred him to us (custom field: “employee-email”)

Here is the workflow I can’t create:

I want to send TY email to the employee (based on the custom field: “employee-email”)

I want to add 1 point to the employee (based on the custom field: “employee-email”) – I will use the “Increment a numeric contact property” of a custom field (num of points), and add +1 each time.

What will be the enrollment? Contact filled in the form and employee-email is known?

If so, what will be the workflow?

Does it matter if the employee has a record or not? If it does, please assume we have a record

Any suggestion how to do it?

Best,

Guy

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello @GuyA,

There are a few factors that are going to come into play, and this might take some time to set up, depending on the number of employees that you have generating referrals.  Most of what you are looking to do is possible, but we may have to make some adjustments.

First, we'll break it down into two main goals:

1. Send an internal thank you email to your employees. (This can be done in a workflow)

2. Tally up the number of referrals and determine a winner. (We may have to change the tally functionality to something other than the "Increment a numeric contact property". I'll explain further down)

Send an internal thank you email to your employees.

You can do this with a workflow.  For starting conditions, you can enroll all contacts who fill out the form AND contact property "Employee-email" is known.  Next, you can use if/then branches to make sure that the correct employee receives a thank you email for the different contacts.  

If contact property employee-email is equal to {insert first employee email address here}

• IF YES - send internal email to {insert employees email}.  
  • IF NO - add another if/then branch and follow the same steps but for the next employee.

Continue this for all of your employees.  Once you have all of the if/then branches, your employees will receive thank you emails for any contact who filled out the form and indicated them as their referrer.  If you haven't already done soo, you can create a new internal email right from the action in the workflow.  Just click on "Send an internal email" and then click on "Create New".

2. Tally up the number of referrals and determine a winner.

You won't be able to set an incremental value for the employee that the contact selected as the referrer in a workflow, because when a contact goes through the workflow, the actions regarding updating or changing properties are specific to their contact record, not someone elses (ie. your employee).  For this reason, my recommendation is to simply create lists of your contacts.  If you create a separate list for each of your employees, the filters for the lists could be "Contact as filled out form ______ and contact property Employee email is _______".  If you name the list with the employees name in it, then you will be able to quickly see the number of contacts in each list, and then have the ability to verify that there aren't duplicates or mistakes.  

There is a lot of information so please let me know if you have any questions.  Additionally, since you have a paid marketing portal, you also have access to phone and email support if you'd like to chat with someone about this on the phone.  

Thanks,

Brett

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello @GuyA,

There are a few factors that are going to come into play, and this might take some time to set up, depending on the number of employees that you have generating referrals.  Most of what you are looking to do is possible, but we may have to make some adjustments.

First, we'll break it down into two main goals:

1. Send an internal thank you email to your employees. (This can be done in a workflow)

2. Tally up the number of referrals and determine a winner. (We may have to change the tally functionality to something other than the "Increment a numeric contact property". I'll explain further down)

Send an internal thank you email to your employees.

You can do this with a workflow.  For starting conditions, you can enroll all contacts who fill out the form AND contact property "Employee-email" is known.  Next, you can use if/then branches to make sure that the correct employee receives a thank you email for the different contacts.  

If contact property employee-email is equal to {insert first employee email address here}

• IF YES - send internal email to {insert employees email}.  
  • IF NO - add another if/then branch and follow the same steps but for the next employee.

Continue this for all of your employees.  Once you have all of the if/then branches, your employees will receive thank you emails for any contact who filled out the form and indicated them as their referrer.  If you haven't already done soo, you can create a new internal email right from the action in the workflow.  Just click on "Send an internal email" and then click on "Create New".

2. Tally up the number of referrals and determine a winner.

You won't be able to set an incremental value for the employee that the contact selected as the referrer in a workflow, because when a contact goes through the workflow, the actions regarding updating or changing properties are specific to their contact record, not someone elses (ie. your employee).  For this reason, my recommendation is to simply create lists of your contacts.  If you create a separate list for each of your employees, the filters for the lists could be "Contact as filled out form ______ and contact property Employee email is _______".  If you name the list with the employees name in it, then you will be able to quickly see the number of contacts in each list, and then have the ability to verify that there aren't duplicates or mistakes.  

There is a lot of information so please let me know if you have any questions.  Additionally, since you have a paid marketing portal, you also have access to phone and email support if you'd like to chat with someone about this on the phone.  

Thanks,

Brett

GuyA
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks so much Brett!

0 Upvotes