Email Marketing

Champion
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

What contact information is important for your business to capture?

A best practice for a successful segmentation strategy is collecting the right information. What this means is that you are collecting the right information that will help you create the segments for your emails. Keeping this in mind, what information does your business collect (or could it collect) to better segment its emails?

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating a Contact Management and Segmentation Strategy lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

1,010 Replies 1,010
DSMStoryForge

For my business, I think the key is to snag a name and an email address first, to keep it simple. A follow up invitation to a survey about where they get their sales traffic and how they close sales is huge. With those two segments of data we can truly optimize their content and email marketing strategy!

Tlambert13
Participant

Collecting the correct information.

AGagoMolinero

Demographics, survey or quiz results, email engagement, geo area, past purchases, amount spent, position in the sales funnel, website behaviour, time since last purchase...

Shayann

Explicit data that individual is providing intentionally name, email address, qualification etc and implicit data as well social media engagements,interest or recent purchases

SMumbo

Contact property, expicit data and implicit data

AKalwasinski
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

By collecting the correct information, allows you to properly address the target customer in email form.   How we do that is also referred to as Segmentation. 

VBansal

A best practice for a successful segmentation strategy is collecting the right information

CSq
Participant

As part of a B2B company selling a service, I would segment my email audience according to job title and, within that, according to company sector.

Harbor-Isl-Girl

We work with executives primarily and want to reach decision-makers and influencers. As such, titles are important for our segmentation. It's less valuable for us to have conversations with people who are not holding the purse strings--as important as they are to that company, those conversations just are of little value to us from a business development perspective. 

NickySmol

Contact, Business info, product interest and where they are in the buyer's journey.

Rebecca10

Ditto - buyer's journey stage, product interest or challenge, company info, connection to decision-maker

MBerroa

Email segmentation divides people subscribed to your email list into small groups based on similar traits, demographics, or behaviors.

SMGD
Participant

This is the way I approach segmentation. First, I divide my list based on the person's interest in my subject.  This way, I can send offers from pet stores to people who like kittens and create articles about how to clean a parka for those who live in Nebraska.

AmanG

inbound segment

ZaboorAhmad

Inbond segment
JayeshBhagat
Participant

Reaching out seldom is more effective.

stahir
Participant

Yes
ZaboorAhmad

Yes
CMcQuilk
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

Collecting this information is very helpful for segmentation, but we find that this need should be balanced with the contact's tolerance for giving out their information.  Sometimes less is more if it means that the contact will complete and submit the form.

TOlaribigbe
Participant

You are so correct. Less is more
jcorona64
Participant

Email segmentations include but are not limited to age, location, people who visit the site but don't pay, and relationship status. Conversion is much more attainable when optimizing email strategy.