Email Marketing

Roynal
ๆŠ•็จฟ่€…

Interpreting "๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ, ๐—ฆ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—บ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ, ๐—š๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ" in your performance report๐Ÿ“Š

Performance reports are fun to dissect in email marketing. HubSpot provides an interesting attention metric called Time spent viewing email (Read, Skimmed, Glanced).

Here's my interpretation of this metric:

• Read (8+ seconds) - > More of this means my content is interestingโ—โ—. However, I add one more consideration, the click rateโ†—๏ธ of the email. If it's too little then my content is not actionable.
  • Skimmed ( 2-8 seconds) -> My subject lines are probably good because it is driving attentionโš ๏ธ, but content-  not so much๐Ÿ‘Ž and could be improved.
  • Glanced (0-2 seconds) -> Not good anythingโ˜ ๏ธ

One more thing to be aware of is that your audience is always going to be spread between all 3 classes of this metric. My goal is to have more of my audience in the "Read and Skimmed" buckets as much as possible๐Ÿ‘.

What is your interpretation?

7ไปถใฎ่ฟ”ไฟก
Sugumar_Renu
ใƒกใƒณใƒใƒผ

Interpreting "๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ, ๐—ฆ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—บ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ, ๐—š๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ" in your performance report๐Ÿ“Š

Hello @Roynal 

Just curious, How we calculate the read time in mail clients. Is this based on clicks in the email ? 

Atomiciser
ๅ‚ๅŠ ่€…

I'd like to bump this to the top again.  How is this calculated?  We don't need to know the algorithms involved but would be good to have an idea to reassure me that it's accurate.

As far as I know:

• Every mainstream email clients will block any tracking code in emails as it's a security violation.
  • Therefore it's impossible to track user behaviour using any kind of script: even if the script could run, it would be blocked from returning that data to the server due to security.  So we can't see how long the email was open for, how far they scrolled or what they hovered over etc.
  • We CAN track image downloads on email because they initiate a web request which can be measured by server.  SOME email clients (mostly phone apps) will lazy load images and only load an image when the user scrolls to it.
  • If links are clicked, these can show some engagement too, such as how far down the page the user has reached etc.
  • The read, skimmed, glanced tags can't be generated off clicks, because emails are still tagged even if they don't get any clicks.

Therefore, I would interpret the "Read, Skimmed, Glanced" differently:

• Read: most or all the images in the email have been downloaded, with a time gap between them, indicating the email client "lazy loaded" the images as the user slowly scrolled down the email.
  • Skimmed: The user quickly scrolled down the page, prompting all images in the email to load very quickly / all at once.
  • Glanced: The first few images on the email (above the fold) have been loaded, but none others.

HOWEVER, the "Skimmed" version will generate false positives, because many desktop email clients will download all images at once when the email is first opened.  Therefore an interested reader using Outlook on their laptop will be marked as "Skimmed" even if they read the email through thoroughly.  So maybe we should take this tag with a pinch of salt and not a reliable metric?

I'd be very interested to know others thoughts on this subject.

0 ใ„ใ„ใญ๏ผ
Jnix284
ๆœ€ๅ„ช็ง€ใƒกใƒณใƒใƒผ | Diamond Partner

@Atomiciser I think your definitions align more closely to the technical assumptions / algorithms that determine the metrics, whereas @Roynal was generalizing what the implications are to guide improvements on future emails.

I haven't found anything concrete as to how they are determined and have always viewed them as a nice-to-have insight. As they aren't KPIs, I've never included them in any performance reporting and typically used them as supporting evidence when reviewing an email that didn't perform as expected or was an outlier.

While all browsers / email clients don't load images the same way, it would be my assumption that this is also accounted for in the algorithm since the browser/client can be detected.

Definitely grain of salt data, with the recent changes I wouldn't be surprised if this data disappears.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

danmoyle
ๆœ€ๅ„ช็ง€ใƒกใƒณใƒใƒผ | Elite Partner
ๆœ€ๅ„ช็ง€ใƒกใƒณใƒใƒผ | Elite Partner

I like your interpretation @Roynal. Seems logical. I especially like the addition of clicked links. That's what it comes down to for me. Each email should have a goal. Is it a reply? A click? A meeting booked? If we set this expecation ahead of time, we know each email ought to end in a click at some point. With the evolution of privacy settings, opens and glances and reads are becoming less trustworthy. Those clicks though... hopefully that will help with insights. 

Love the conversation! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Jnix284

@Roynal I think your interpretations are pretty spot on - the only thing I would add/change is the following:

Glanced: they want to hear from me, but this message didn't hit the target

I'll take Glanced over not opened, it is still telling me something about that contact that distinguishes them from those who didn't even open.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

Roynal
ๆŠ•็จฟ่€…

Thanks for the note, and yes I agree on Glanced :).

kvlschaefer
ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅใƒ‹ใƒ†ใ‚ฃใƒผใƒžใƒใƒผใ‚ธใƒฃใƒผ
ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅใƒ‹ใƒ†ใ‚ฃใƒผใƒžใƒใƒผใ‚ธใƒฃใƒผ

Thanks for sharing, @Roynal!

I'll add some top contributors from our community to get the conversation going. 

Hi @Jnix284@Ben_M@louischausse@danmoyle@GeorgeBThomas@myles4@Ian_Matt@Josh - How do you interpret the email performance report? Do you have any thoughts for @Roynal?

Thanks!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !