Email Marketing

Champion
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

In your opinion, what's a successful layout for a high-performing email?

High-performing emails are focused on taking the essential parts of an email and making sure they are optimized to drive your contacts toward your specific goal. In your opinion, describe what a successful marketing email template looks like.

Extra credit: If you have an example to share (whether it be a drawing or screenshot), please upload it.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating a High-Performing Email lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

1,076 Replies 1,076
putnams

Make sure it's free of typos.

0 Upvotes
LizKenyon

Subject line that grabs attention and peaks curiosity

Strong imagery & cohesive design

Pithy paras

Clear purpose

CTA at bottom & high up on the side - driving to one goal

0 Upvotes
DPaul

A personalized email containing relevant CTA and subject line.

0 Upvotes
JeffSyblik
Contributor

High-performing emails are human and helpful.  They start with a goal and then each part of the email drives the receiver to you the marketer's desired action.  For example, a letter of introduction is a great way for a content writer to get in front of a publication editor or content creating agency. 

But first, the goal has to be set.  The goal is to get the prospect to consider me as a possible writer for his content agency.  So it starts with the subject line.  It should be positive, interesting, and personal.  So, here's one that worked for me.  It says, I'm human and I'm helpful.  

Subject: Ryan, incredible. Thanks so much for the opportunity to reach out.

(Thanking the prospect for his openness to receiving inquiries from new writers.)  

Ryan, 

What can I do to help? 
(Straight to the point)

A simple question. When you're Ryan Malone at Smartbug Media and recommended by my writing friend, Carol, (who is not an easy person to impress) it's a question I want to ask and answer. 

Carol Tice my Freelance Writing Den Mother speaks well of your business and its operation? High fives all around to you, Ryan, and your team!
If you need to produce. 
(Complement them but be real)
 (Tell them how you can help)
*Case studies, 
*Blog posts
*Content marketing strategy
*White papers
*Product reviews
*Proposals/pitches
*Infographics
*Newsletters
*Email series
*Interview pieces
*Webcopy
*Product description
*Ebooks
*Social media updates
*Articles for publication
*Blog banners and ads
or
Open to more

See some other guy's portfolio.
 ( I wanted to shock the reader with the unexpected.  )
But if you are interested in creating media like this above on time and with impact. I'm here to help.
 (I show confidence that I am not going to just create copy, I am going to do it with a goal and on time and meet that goal.)

(So now I tell him who I am and hint as to why I am worth contacting besides being confident, wanting to help)
A bit about me. I'm an educational content writer and once upon a time a college professor, a historian, and an armchair psychologist.

Today, I write for health, healthcare, educational, and technological industries. I live the best of both worlds. I teach my son and enjoy work as a writer/content marketer/copywriter. 

(Add tidbit about football to relate to the receiver and tell him something about me.  Makes me human.)
Except when it's football season, then..., my life gets even better.

It was great to reach out to you. Feel free to check out my work (active link to portfolio) and see if my skills and brand are a fit for one of your projects. 
 (Offer with my work. Want him to check out my portfolio.)
Enjoy your evening, Ryan.

Jeff,

Jeff Syblik
(website address link)

jeffsyblik.com

Your Next Freelance Writer Team Member
(Close with confidence)
469-394-4322

(Next email is set for a follow-up.  I will contact him the next day at the time he opened my email to see if he has looked at my portfolio.  The goal of this next email will be to get him to respond or email me back.)
0 Upvotes
_Misbahuddeen

From "Account Manager" to feel more human

Title should carry bot-like words so it feel more human

Preview text should sell content value and intriguing

Use personalised sentences and keep specific CTA in mind

slide in CTA at the appropriate email body segment a convincing valuable point

optimize overall email response

0 Upvotes
OOkafor

High performance email, are very precise, with relevant content, reaching the right audience at the right time, and it is viewable all device especially on mobile
0 Upvotes
Growwithme
Participant

Strong subject line email and if possible using interesting fonts which represent your values

Good headline should be not longer than around 30 characters

Directed content using language  types ie  relaxed/simplistic or bold to project a theme or sale

If possible some striking pictures ie - scenery or another happy customer

Add extra links around the centre subject that will make the reader think more about your content or promotion to create a buzz

0 Upvotes
MLong4

A successful layout for a high-performing email is concise, gets to the point and easily can engage with the reader or customer.

0 Upvotes
RGwaltney
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Few distractions, content geared towards your buyers persona, clear cta placement to achieve desired goal, an a/b version so you can see what works best etc

0 Upvotes
TDuhart

CTA Call To Action

0 Upvotes
CTarantini

Keep in mind that the top of your email is the most important part. It will need to fit browser preview apps or mobile screens.

Use images and creative, short and snappy headlines at the top. I overlay text on a the header image to leverage multi-layered communication.

Push the CTA above the fold if you can.

Body:

Start with an open sentence that uses the words: how / why / what / who. Questions are preferable.

Be short and concise.

0 Upvotes
MinaP

Clear goal

right tone

bring value to the reader with good design, short paragraph, bolding title

CTA

0 Upvotes
JGassner

Subject Line - Power words & my name included 

Preview text - Value of what is inside

Body -

• My name
  • A hook
  • Why I am recieving this email
  • What's in it for me? 
  • CTA

0 Upvotes
NBeckmann

Should be direct and clear, including only what is necessary for engagement by keeping the main goal as a priority.

0 Upvotes
PBlessing2
Participant

A high performing email and successful marketing template should create a visual roadmap for the reader. Text, colors, a graphics should be used as tools and should be simple and intentional to show the reader what is most important and guide their eye through the content seamlessly, instead of clogging the email up with too much color, too many words, confusing graphics, etc. 

0 Upvotes
MMbewe

It is an email that is relevant to the person recieveing it in terms of keywords, subject matter, and CTA. It should inspire them to take advantage of the CTA without waiting or considering other options. 

0 Upvotes
AHiggins

High Performing email should consist of relevant content and should also be concise and to the point 

0 Upvotes
Bren08

A high-performing email has a clear, conversational, and direct message.

0 Upvotes
TRanoto

A succesful markerting email templates is comprehensive but succintly includes all the relevant information on it such as messages emphasising the value to the consumer, creating goodwill, ensuring that there is a CTA included at the end. before the Call-to-action (CTA) can be acheived, copywriters need to ensure that they create the email in a way which will compel the reader into opening the email.

0 Upvotes
JMena
Participant

High performing emails should include a headturning subject line, a short clip of inofrmation that the email will hold, lines in the email to add value, and a call to action

0 Upvotes
ContentStrategy
Participant

Attention grabbing Subject Line, Email topic overview, Photo or Video near top of email,  Customized wording on Call to Action button

0 Upvotes