Email Marketing

Champion
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How would you go about conducting an email experiment?

Consider this: Your manager asks you to improve the click-through rate of your monthly newsletter. How would you go about conducting an experiment? What would you be looking to improve (and why)?

*To learn more about this, check out the Testing Your Marketing Emails lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

366 Respuestas 366
2KUMAR
Participante

Conducting an email experiment involves systematically testing different elements of your email campaigns to improve their effectiveness and optimize your communication strategy. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to conduct an email experiment:

1. **Define Your Experiment Goal:**
Clearly outline the objective of your experiment. Are you aiming to increase open rates, click-through rates, conversion rates, or some other metric? Having a well-defined goal will help you structure your experiment effectively.

2. **Select a Hypothesis:**
Formulate a hypothesis about what changes you believe will positively impact the chosen goal. For example, you might hypothesize that using personalized subject lines will lead to higher open rates.

3. **Choose Experimental Variables:**
Identify the specific elements of your email that you want to test. These could include subject lines, sender names, email content, call-to-action buttons, images, and more. Ensure that you're only testing one variable at a time to accurately measure its impact.

4. **Create Test and Control Groups:**
Divide your email list into two groups: the test group and the control group. The control group receives the regular, unchanged email (baseline), while the test group receives the modified email according to your experimental variable.

5. **Design and Send Emails:**
Create the emails for both the test and control groups. Ensure that the only difference between the two versions is the variable you're testing. Keep other factors constant to ensure accurate results.

6. **Randomization:**
Randomly assign your subscribers to the test and control groups to eliminate any bias and ensure that the groups are representative of your overall audience.

7. **Send Emails:**
Send out the emails to their respective groups. Use your email marketing platform to schedule and track the delivery of the emails.

8. **Measure and Collect Data:**
Monitor the performance of both versions of the email by tracking relevant metrics such as open rates, click-through rates, conversion rates, and any other key performance indicators (KPIs) you're interested in.

9. **Analyze Results:**
After the experiment, analyze the data to determine whether the changes you made to the test group had a significant impact on the desired outcome. Use statistical analysis to validate your findings.

10. **Draw Conclusions:**
Based on the data analysis, determine whether your hypothesis was correct and whether the experimental variable had a meaningful impact on the chosen goal.

11. **Iterate and Optimize:**
If your experiment yielded positive results, implement the changes into your regular email campaigns. If not, use the insights gained from the experiment to refine your approach and try new variations.

12. **Document Findings:**
Keep a detailed record of your experiment, including the methodology, results, and conclusions. This documentation will help you make informed decisions for future email campaigns.

Remember that successful experimentation involves a continuous cycle of testing, analyzing, and optimizing. Over time, you can refine your email strategies based on the insights gained from these experiments, leading to more effective and engaging email campaigns.

0 Me gusta
BNikolic3
Miembro

By testing different subject lines and preview text

0 Me gusta
TDang89
Miembro

-Set the goal: improve CTR

-Evaluate the segment of recipients

+A/B testing 

-Design the test

+Hypothesis: the subject line has characters or words that triggered the spam-filter

+Action: design a test to adjust the subject line to avoid an exclamation mark

Vojin
Participante

Since consistent analysis is the main part of my Email Marketing strategy, I constantly observe trends to gather insight on what could be improved. Let's say that my open rate is extremely low for my standards. 

Hypothesis : Insufficient value provided in the subject line or preview text. 

Action : Reformulate the subject line and preview text so they can emphasize the value provided within the email's content. 

After running this particular test, I realise that my open rate improved but my click through rate is significantly lower than usual.

Now that we fixed the open rate problem, any hypothesis around it is disregarded. We know that our subject lines and preview text are leading to our goals. Let's now focus on low CTR.

Hypothesis : Email doesn't provide the expected value. There is a misalignment between the subject and the content of email. 

Action : Optimize content so it perfectly aligns with the subject line and preview text. This way, we don't dissapoint our contact and provide the promised value. With optimal content our CTR improves which leads to higher conversions and overall achievement of our goals.

Growth happens over time and it requires consistent analysis. 

GTalukdar
Participante

Very well explained. 

0 Me gusta
BAGEJIVWIE
Participante

To conduct an experiment on how my emails are performing, I must understand two things:

1. Why am running an experiment?

2. What am I hoping to get out of the experiment?

Withanswers to this most crucial questions handy, I will then proceed with the following:

1. My primary goal for the experiment

2. Evaluate a segment of the emails my contacts are receiving. In this case my CTA

3.I will design my test

4. Run a review and start my test.

0 Me gusta
Damsy
Participante

First off, I'd make sure the Email deliverability and open rates(number/frequency of sends, subject line and preview text) were in check!

The Goal of this the test: Improving the CTRs

Some of the elements that could affect click through rate are

- Body Copy

-Body Design

-Body Images

-Call to Action

-Email Signature

I'd analyze the trends on the past emails sent and how my list interacted with them to determine what aspects of the emails I'd run test on

From what I've observed personally, the Body copy,  Call to action and Email design have the most impact on email Click through rates.

Using an email tool or a significance test calculator, I'd determine the segment of recipients to send email tests to.

Next, I'd design my email tests using the elements previously stated.

I'd then test these elements using A/B testing over a considerable period of time to gather data for analysis. After analysis, I'd send the "winner" email to the rest of the email list.
0 Me gusta
jthakur
Miembro

CTA

0 Me gusta
TNeyedly
Participante

I would start with testing different CTAs in the monthly newsletter, making it clear what action we want the reader to take. Performing and A/B test for different CTAs.

After that, I would examine the content and copy in the newsletters, and then start to segment out the list. 

0 Me gusta
jthompson19
Miembro

I would segment

0 Me gusta
tparker2
Participante

The best way to test and experiment with different email formats, designs, and content is to use a method called  A/B testing. Is a simple but effective technique that involves creating two versions of the same email, changing only one variable, and sending them to a random sample of your email list.

0 Me gusta
RLogan492
Miembro

i'd set a goal first around which i'd build me a test strategy.

0 Me gusta
JValenzuela15
Miembro

I will learn how to test and experiment with different email and social media approaches to optimize my conversion rate and grow my business.

0 Me gusta
IPerpetual
Miembro

Since we have different people,they need different conversation 

0 Me gusta
OPerez3
Participante

I would look into the words that I'm using in the header.

0 Me gusta
ZandileF
Participante

Figure out campaign goal (use as CTA), divide contacts into segments, run the test, analyse results according to goals.

0 Me gusta
PhuongNguyen262
Miembro

define my goal, evaluate, run A/B tests and design

0 Me gusta
jbai
Participante

a/b tests is very helpful

0 Me gusta
FatimaMohd
Participante

As the goal of improving click-through rates has been identified, first, I'd get more specific. For example, improve CTR from 5% to 10% in the next 3 months. This ensures that it's measurable, attainable, and timely.

Next, from the consistent analysis that has been taken on individual email metrics, I'd identify what has been working and what hasn't—looking to see if the email copy, email design, and images along with the CTA are providing value and driving the recipient to carry out the goal of the email.

After identifying a hypothesis like 'the CTA doesn't stand out enough in the design and there isn't enough white space around it', the next step is to segment recipients for A/B testing, design two variations of an email and send them out. The time this test last depends on how soon we usually see the majority of this 5% CTR.

After that, a winning email will be picked either through an A/B testing tool or personally. If the test is inconclusive, we can try again with a different hypothesis until we see improvement.

YAlimohammadi
Miembro

A/B testing, we need to have at least 1000 contact lists to select a sample size. We will send the same email with two different designs to see which one is more impactful.

0 Me gusta