Email Marketing

Champion
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How would you go about conducting an email experiment?

Consider this: Your manager asks you to improve the click-through rate of your monthly newsletter. How would you go about conducting an experiment? What would you be looking to improve (and why)?

*To learn more about this, check out the Testing Your Marketing Emails lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

366 Replies 366
oluwashina
Contributor

To experiment with your sent email to your list, the advice is to conduct A/B testing and make variations in different formats to see which one is performing better. This will make you be improved in email marketing as a professional and make a very good pinpoint when it comes to analysis aspects. 

Hubspot22
Participant

Though A/B testing 

Protik
Contributor

In order to improve click-through rate, you should:

• Segment your contacts
  • Send personalized content to each segment
  • Put 1/2 links max per email
0 Upvotes
cpye79
Participant

A/B testing 

SAlcivarLopez

En pruebas A y B

0 Upvotes
ZDP89
Participant

I would say define the hypothesis, the variables, the size, the listing, Split test and then make recommendations.

0 Upvotes
JSavage

A/B comparisons

0 Upvotes
GVyas
Participant

If asked to improve the CTR rate of my monthly Email Newsletter I would apply the following approach:

I would, 

• Get Goal-Oriented: Define a clear goal for the experiment, whether it's increasing CTR by a specific percentage or achieving a particular outcome.
  • Hypothesize with Insights: Develop a hypothesis based on data and insights, such as trying personalized subject lines or visual elements to boost engagement.
  • Set Up Test Groups: Create test groups with variations in subject lines, content, layout, or CTA to compare performance.
  • Monitor and Measure: Track key metrics like open rate, CTR, and conversion rate, and collect qualitative feedback from recipients.
  • Analyze Results: Analyze the data, looking for patterns and statistically significant differences to identify the best-performing version.
  • Iterate and Optimize: Make data-driven decisions and optimize the newsletter based on findings, continue testing and refining to improve over time.
  • Report and Share Learnings: Prepare a report to share with your team and the email marketing community, sharing actionable insights and lessons learned.

I believe at the end of the experiment I will have actionable insights to move forward with my analysed results to achieve a better CTR
lijah_1210

We intend to send emails that feature our latest offers. Although we haven't started our email campaigns, I plan on testing our future campaigns on their clickthrough rates.

Our planned email contents will include several forms of media, especially GIFs and photos. Thus, I assume that the response of our partners will depend largely on the quality of the said forms of media and our overall email design.

Christine1997

To improve the click-through rate,  you should experiement with the body of the email, the email design,  and the CTA. 

JKhan9
Participant

That's why A/B Testing was created to determine the performance of version A and version B. In this way, we will know which of the 2 has more engagements.

For the version A this is is where you have a control and typical while version B has variation made and any change you want to change in the subj lines etc.

JericoMaglasang

by using an A/B method when doing some changes send to partially of your contacts then analysis. You can make some action such changing the context of the email and its design then you can do the test by sending to remaining contact, make comparison.

0 Upvotes
RGorumba

I learned that  A/B testing is the best used for the click-through rate of the newsletter on the email copy and the CTA to improve.

We can also test
Email body copy

Email body design

Email body images

0 Upvotes
EGitome
Participant

The A/B testing on, subject lines, CTA's even designs e.t.c. This will enable you to analyze who is clicking on your emails, who's clicking on the links or even conversion rates. It will help you improve where there's a problem.

0 Upvotes
StephanieMhango

By running different A/B Tests on the email copy and the CTA. This will help us evaluate factors that can lead to click through rate increase. If the copy is horrible, people won't get to the CTA, if the CTA is not clear then people won't click through

0 Upvotes
GWilliams11
Participant

Since the problem is on the click through rate of the newsletter, I will use the A/B testing method. And I will  go further to improve on key elements such as email images, email design, email copy and email call to action (CTA)

0 Upvotes
Mirkashif

We should do AB testing

0 Upvotes
Steph_HIKMKT
Participant

To ensure the success of my email campaign, I follow a thorough review process. Before sending it out, I share the draft with my team for initial feedback and revisions. Once all team members approve the content, I proceed with the A/B testing strategy to determine which elements of the email are most effective. By testing different variations of the email, I can gather data on what works best and make informed decisions for future campaigns. This approach allows me to optimize my email content and increase the likelihood of success.

oneeb_alvi

Through A/B Testing

0 Upvotes
BlessedAF

i will conduct the experiment using A/B testing. Since the goal is to improve the click-through rate i would look to improve/ test elements like the Email body copy, Email body design, Email body images, Email CTA, Email signature e.t.c. 

0 Upvotes
MOladunjoye
Participant

Since it's a problem with the click-through rate, areas I will be looking to improve on would be the:

1) Email copy

2) Email design

3) Email images

4) CTA

The experiment will start with me knowing the goal, which is to increase the click through rate.

Then I will look into the segment who will be receiving the testing emails, if I have under 1000 list, then I will need to go for a 50/50 testing method. If it's 1000 list or more, then I can make use of software to evaluate my segment of recipents.

After that, I can design my emails, using A/B test strategy...

Then, review it and start the test. 

0 Upvotes