Email Marketing Tool

PurpleDuckie

E-Mail Newsletter Lists

SOLVE

I am trying to create a list of users who have opted in for an e-mail newsletter. The issue I am having, is I am not sure what properties indicate whether they have signed up or unsubscribed. 

I have a newsletter signup on our website (shopify) and it creates a contact. The contact is set to "Subscriber" in Lifestyle stage and Accepts Marketing is set to "True".  I did a test e-mail and unsubscribed, but the only change I could see is that Lifestyle Stage changes to Lead.  Accepts Marketing is still set to True.

So how can I accurately manage a list? I only want to e-mail people who have opted in and have not unsubscribed, but these people might be set to different lifestyle stages. 

Additionally, I imported newsletter contacts with a .CSV file (they were subscribed on a different platform) and it did not allow me to change their Accepts Marketing status. While they have all opted in to receive e-mails and have not unsubscribed, some of them had their Accepts Marketing status set to False in Hubspot. I imported them with a new property: Newsletter Subscription set to Subscribed with additional options of Unsubscribed / Neither and through forms I can use this for newsletter subscriptions. However, I don't know how to switch it to "Unsubscribed" when they opt out of e-mails. Is this something that can be done? 

1 Accepted solution
PurpleDuckie
Solution

E-Mail Newsletter Lists

SOLVE

I filed a support ticket and received an answer there.

For those that may need it:

I was looking at the wrong properties. The property that indicates opting out of e-mails is "opted out of email marketing information."  I can't change that setting based on importing through lists. 

3. Is the only property you have for seeing who wants to receive your newsletter the lifecycle stage? 

It was listed under the default properties, so I thought it was a hubspot property. Apparently it came from one of the imports we did. Which is why I was confused! 

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

E-Mail Newsletter Lists

SOLVE

Hi @PurpleDuckie,

A few questions: 

1. How did you unsubscribe from the email as your test contact (through a link at the bottom of the email?)

2. Was this a HubSpot email? 

3. Is the only property you have for seeing who wants to receive your newsletter the lifecycle stage? 

4. Is the "Accepts marketing" property you referenced a custom contact property? 

In reference to your end goal of changing their status to unsubscribed, I am not sure what this is in reference to. 

If you can provide some additional information regarding how everything is happening from contacts signing up through how they could potentially unsubscribe (and what you are using and determining to send them emails) that would be great. 

The more details, screenshots and examples you can provide, the better. 

Thanks,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
PurpleDuckie
Solution

E-Mail Newsletter Lists

SOLVE

I filed a support ticket and received an answer there.

For those that may need it:

I was looking at the wrong properties. The property that indicates opting out of e-mails is "opted out of email marketing information."  I can't change that setting based on importing through lists. 

It was listed under the default properties, so I thought it was a hubspot property. Apparently it came from one of the imports we did. Which is why I was confused! 

0 Upvotes