Email Marketing Tool

ymt77

user identifier that can be passed into email links

SOLVE

Good morning.

We use a platform called Lytics as our CDP, and it's meant to track all the interactions our visitors have on our various websites. I noticed while looking at some reports that we have a massive amount of unidentified/anonymous users coming into our sites via our HubSpot emails. When I reached out to Lytics support enquiring why these users are not being identified, they explained that there presently isn't any sort of identifier in our HB email links that Lytics can use to identify the user and switch them from being anonymous to Known. I poked through some of our emails and they were right, we just use plain links to our websites with no sort of User ID in them or anything.

They sent me a link to their documentation with this information:

Email click-through identifier

Many email service providers (ESPs) have a unique user ID within their system, separate from email. It's encouraged to pass this identifier, hashed email, or any other non-PII identifier as a query string parameter within links you include in any email communication. If you are familiar with UTM parameters, this is similar.

Once you set this up in your ESP, Lytics can associate this additional identifier as another merge rule. So moving forward, whenever a user clicks on an email link that drives them to your website with the Lytics tag, Lytics will be able to stitch the email to a cookie.

Examples:

• domain.com/news/article_name?<your_esp_identifier_or_hashed_email_name>=<value>
  • domain.com/news/article_name?esp_id=2ncihj894y2jnjknfjsd

I so far haven't had much luck finding instructions for how to do this in HubSpot. Would anyone be able to instruct me how we need to go about doing this with our email links moving forward?

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ymt77,

First, you would follow the steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/manage-your-properties

The type of property you'd create would be a single-line text property. You would then have to find a way to populate this field for each contact with their ID, for example by importing a list that contains the email address of the contact in one column, the ID in another.

You can then follow the steps from my previous reply to create an email with the personalization token.

The record ID is unique for each contact, yes, however it might not be what you're receiving system is expecting? If any ID is fine, then yes, the record ID works well.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ymt77,

This can be accomplished with personalization tokens: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/website-pages/personalize-your-content

In your marketing emails, you would add your links (e.g. 'domain.com/news/article_name?esp_id='), followed by a personalization token for the ID itself.

Before doing so, you'd have to create a custom property to house the ID for each contact: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/manage-your-properties

Let me know if I should go into detail and if so, where exactly.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
ymt77

SOLVE

Hi, Karsten.

Thank you so much for the prompt response! Yeah, if you could please provide more detail on how we need to setup a custom property to house the ID for each contact, that would be much appreciated 🙂 I saw we have a Record ID property on all our contacts already but wasn't sure if that's something we can't use for this?

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ymt77,

First, you would follow the steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/manage-your-properties

The type of property you'd create would be a single-line text property. You would then have to find a way to populate this field for each contact with their ID, for example by importing a list that contains the email address of the contact in one column, the ID in another.

You can then follow the steps from my previous reply to create an email with the personalization token.

The record ID is unique for each contact, yes, however it might not be what you're receiving system is expecting? If any ID is fine, then yes, the record ID works well.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

ymt77

SOLVE

Thank you so much!

0 Upvotes