"Time spent viewing email" Calculation

Hi HubSpot Community, 

I was analyzing the information I got in the Email Marketing Performance Report.

I was checking the time the people spent viewing the email or the "Time spent viewing email" and I can't get the list of people who Read it, people who Skimmed and People who Glaced.  

So I decided to export the list and based on the time I classified them and calculate the percents by myself. 

The percents I am getting are different from the ones in HubSpot. 

I did it individually and I did it by email adding the times per email. 

I would like to know how does HubSpot that calculations or if there is a way to export the list of people of each category. 

Thank you. 

4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey @JessOspina,

Have you seen this resource about the "time spent" calculation? 

In regards to how this information is gotten, I think it would be from the tracking pixel in the email, as that is what associates with the email opens and clicks. There isn't a way to export this from the contact end of things as far as I know. 

Hope that helps! 

0 Upvotes
GLC
Regular Contributor

Do we know if the "time spent viewing email" metric is accurate/trustworthy?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I would love to be able to do this also. Good point.

I would like to aggregate the data per campaign as well for example: on average for Campaign X, the marketing emails were read x% of the time, skimmed y% of the time and scanned z% of the time. I don't seem to be able to do this at the moment. L.

Regular Contributor | Platinum Partner

First and foremost, to understand how this works, it’s good to familiarize yourself with how email open tracking works. It’s very similar, but the difference is, instead of just sending the image and being done with it, they start sending the pixel and never finish, leaving the connection open. Then they watch for the connection to be terminated and count the seconds between the time the connection was opened and the time it was terminated. Voilà!

Like you mentioned, you can access this data by downloading the sent data in the Recipient's tab, but you do have to run your own calculations.  

As for your question of how reliable it is.  About as reliable as open data, so while it's a signal, it can be riddled with issues.