Email Marketing Tool

TomMonaghan
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

iOS 15 - let’s talk about it

SOLVE

Hey folks,

So the iOS 15 changes are out in the wild and I thought it was best to start a fresh thread to give everyone a place to ask questions, help each other, and share their experiences.

Thanks,

Tom Monaghan

Director of Product for Email

1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing that resource, @BérangèreL 😊

@CHeckel welcome to the Community! I didn't see any new update, but I'm continuing to encourage clients to find other metrics to measure. Clicks, replies, meetings... more meaningful and measurable than just opens. 

Hope you find a solution! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

91 Replies 91
CDay
Participant

SOLVE

@BDonaldson3 I stopped using my default "unengaged contacts" list and created my own. I increased the number of marketing email sends before marking as unengaged and use that in my suppression list. This isn't a great workaround, but I'm also delivering more click and response CTAs in the meantime to capture true engagement. And I'm working on a re-engagement strategy to get more clicks. Hope this helps!

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@CDay How is this helping you?  Could you expand? Simply sending more emails, in the current environment, won't necessarily result in more "real" clicks.  As Apple will still mark all these emails as "clicked", when they really aren't.

What are the conditions of your suppression list, if you don't mind me asking?

CDay
Participant

SOLVE

@KeyWestScott At some point, I may stop using suppression lists solely based on engagement. I'll focus on delivering content users want and expect and monitor rates/clicks/responses. Anything "higher" or "lower" than our normal would be something to then analyze as that would be a sign of higher/lower engagement. But it'll be hard to work around workflow triggers or emails on an individual basis. 

From my experience---we implemented a new follow-up email in our workflow. After a contact has filled out a form and received their delivery email, we send a follow-up two days later asking how they liked the resource. It's short and links back to the original resource (click opportunity), and we've seen an increase in responses--a good email metric. Hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
Mike_Donnelly
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@KeyWestScott Actually Mail Protection from Apple won't click the link in your emails.  For users that have it enabled, it will just automatically download the pixel (which fires the open) as soon as it's received.  One thing to also point out is that even though someone may be using an iOS device that has enabled Mail Protection, they could fire legitimate opens from their desktop / laptop.  In short, not all opens are created equal.  🙂

0 Upvotes
KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Correct, is won't explicitly "click" the link, but as you stated, it does fire the open. Which is basically a false flag open.  Apple fires the open, insert any CMS - which then registers the false open (as a legitimate open). 

Yes, someone could when they actually "open" the email and perform a real click, this would be registered as an additional click.  But, how do you differentiate the false click from the real one? Do you build logic that says anyone that clicks on Link A, two times is a real "click"?  But, then what about those that are not on IOS and click on Link A one time, they are a real click, but won't be accounted for, in this logic.

True all clicks are not created equally, but they are all accounted for equally.

0 Upvotes
kkoltun
Contributor

SOLVE

I agree! How do we reliably measure email engagement now? I am looking at restructuring my makreting / non-marketing contacts and am not sure how to account for this issue as of now. Would love some tips.

0 Upvotes
MMArketing5
Participant

SOLVE

@TCremeens the issue with a report like that is, if a user has an iPhone and Imap or POP3 their regular Gmail to the I phone mail app, that inbox will get treated as an iCloud client.  So you will have skew data anyways.  This is a bigger picture. Im assuming this will also play a role in the Safari browser as well. 

0 Upvotes
TCremeens
Participant

SOLVE

Someone may have already asked this, but it would seem logical if Hubspot could automatically filter post-send analytics by device type. i.e. iOS users vs not, and provided segmented analytics that way. For example, Open rate for iOS recipients may be 100% since they preload the pixel with a 3% click rate, but non-iOS devices (including computers) had a 32% open rate with a 3% click rate. That would provide a benchmark for both types of users: Trackable and untrackable. 

Or give us the ability to create lists based on known device type. So we can segment our lists for iOS users vs non to better track our campaigns. 

MMArketing5
Participant

SOLVE

@AMasters6  I don't think hs will be able to do anything with this. There was a tool called Netsuite Bronto that had a more granular breakdown on reporting and customer triggers with dynamic code.  Makes sense why they shut down, they saw this coming and probably no way to fix it. the best way that I see this for more efficient reports is to todo a web browser tracker code. Then make a report for activity on the website. When you segment the people that got activity on-site and sent a specific email, then you would be able to get a better idea of the open rate for your campaign.  It's one more extra step but this way you can correlate directly with behavior and acquisition. 

elanashama
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Great question @sbradthompson !

sbradthompson
Participant

SOLVE

So, if someone opens an email with the masked IP, does that affect marketers being able to track activity on your website as the email cookie is the conduit to tracking them?

elanashama
Top Contributor

SOLVE

These reports are great, but we still need to be able to use this information in workflow triggers and list filters. As of now, the browser information is non-existent on the contact records. 

0 Upvotes
elanashama
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Tahnk you so much @MerchantCentric , this is exactly what we were looking for!

0 Upvotes
ibatt
Participant

SOLVE

In the Email > Performance analytics, I see that HubSpot tracks everyone's email client:

"A recipient’s email client will be included in the data below when an email is opened or a tracked link is clicked."

How about a way to attach contacts' email clients to their records, so we can separate the Apple Mail people out, just as a way to keep them out of certain reporting. I know people use more than one email client (Outlook at work, Apple Mail or Gmail app at home).... but it's just a thought.

ibatt
Participant

SOLVE

Support has solved this for me today!

Reports > Reports > Custom Report Builder > Choose Contacts, then under Marketing: Marketing email.

Build a pivot report with Browser Family and Browser Name (Rows), Browser Type (Columns), and Count of Opened Emails (Values). For a filter, choose whatever Event Timestamp value you like.

TRichards
Contributor

SOLVE

ibatt, would you be able to show your report configurations? The goal is to see and export the Apple Mail users. Some of us are not experts with reporting yet.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
wlee168
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for this ibatt. When I try and create this report, I can't find any of the fields beginning with 'browser' in ether marketing email fields or contact fields. Am I doing something wrong? 

0 Upvotes
CDay
Participant

SOLVE

I had issues finding these fields as well until I manually clicked into the options. In the report builder, using Contacts and Marketing, click:
>dropdown options next to "Browse">Marketing email>Radio button: "Opened emails">scroll down to fields that have the header "Opened emails properties" and find both "browser" options

TRichards
Contributor

SOLVE

Were you able to get email addresses out of this report? I can create a chart, then click on a number to see the emails and people who opened with that browser. Problem is that I only see the contact's name, not email. 
It's like the report within the report and I'm not sure how to get what I need out of it.

0 Upvotes
IsabelleW
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE
Unfortunately no, we were only able to see the count of contacts that use Apple iOS, and most of our contacts used an “unknown” client.
Sorry I can’t help!
0 Upvotes
ibatt
Participant

SOLVE

Assuming you have the 2 data sources Contacts and Marketing: Marketing Email, just start typing "browser..." in the handy search bar in the upper left that says "Search across sources 🔍". Good luck!

0 Upvotes